Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Speakers no longer work on MBP (auto optical out)

Speakers no longer work on MBP (auto optical out)
Rumz
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2006, 01:08 PM

So, for the better part of a week now I can't get sound out of the speakers on my Core Duo MacBook Pro. If I plug headphones in, I get sound from there, and if I unplug the headphones, the optical digital output automatically turns on. if I go into the sound preferences, the only output device available to select is "Digital Output". I checked the Audio Midi settings and no matter what the output settings are set to (16 bit, 24 bit, etc.) the only option I can select is digital out.

Am I missing something? Do you think somethings screwed up with the hardware on the output jack such that it thinks there's an optical cable plugged into it? (this doesn't seem likely as headphones work and I haven't done anything unusual lately, it just stopped working this week.

Any ideas?
MacBook Pro: 2.16ghz, 2GB, 100GB@7200RPM

chrismear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 01:14 PM

Some other people have reported what sounds like a similar problem to yours. There's no reliable fix yet, but at least one person has managed to 'reset' it by trying a few different headphone plugs in the socket.

Rumz  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2006, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the reference. I had done some searching but hadn't been able to find my same problem. Maybe I just didn't go back far enough. Thanks again

Rumz  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2006, 01:22 PM

Yeah that's ridiculous. That's got to be a hardware issue-- I took a different headphone plug and unplugged / plugged it in a few times until the light went off. Lame. Thanks again for the link!

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2006, 02:19 PM

This has been an issue since the Powerbook, so it's nothing new to Apple. Why they haven't got on top of it, is beyond me. It's a repair job, so the best thing for you to do is call Apple/AppleCare.

onlyone-jc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules