Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > "get summary info" as button, not a menu item?

"get summary info" as button, not a menu item?
VictorBoyko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 08:19 AM

okay, if i selected a number of folders and want to get summary info on them i go to rightclick menu and hold ctrl for that.

can i somehow reprogram the "i" button (in a blue circle) which i took from the toolbar preferences to work as "get summary info" button, not "get info"?

dmetzcher
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2006, 05:31 PM

You can create a new button instead...
Create an AppleScript that invokes summary info on selected Finder items. You might want to do this in Automator, if you don't know AppleScript, or don't want to work with it. Either way, save the script (or Automator workflow) as an application. Save it anywhere you like, and then drag that application's icon to the top of a Finder window to create a new button, linked to that application, on all Finder windows.

Now, once you have the application created, but before you drag the icon to the top of a Finder window, change the icon of the application to the same icon that, right now, invokes simple Get Info. That way, the button looks the same, but performs the new task. You could also download a nice icon and apply it instead to the new application you create.
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

dmetzcher
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2006, 05:32 PM

I checked out Automator for an action that would get summary info. There doesn't appear to be one for that, or simple Get Info...
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

dmetzcher
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2006, 05:37 PM

I am looking for something in AppleScript that will allow this to be done now...I'll post the script, if I can get it created.
Dennis R. Metzcher

dmetzcher
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2006, 06:00 PM

Found this as part of a post at macosxhints.com (where else?). It works. Save it as an AppleScript application, after entering it into Script Editor.

Code:
tell application "Finder" to activate tell application "System Events" tell process "Finder" key down {command, option} keystroke "i" key up {command, option} end tell end tell
Once you have done that, give it whatever icon you want. To do this, first get the icon from something you want to use (an image file, another application, etc.), by clicking the file in the Finder, and bringing up the Get Info window for it (Command+i). Now, in the Get Info window, click the icon of the file (in the top left corner of the Get Info window). Press Command+C to copy it. Do the same thing for the new application you created, except, when you click the icon of the file in the Get Info window, do a Command+V to paste the icon you copied to the application you created.

Now, drag the application you created to the top of any Finder window, and it stays there.

There is a catch, however...it's slow. You have to wait a second or two from the time the icon is clicked on the Finder window until the Get Info window appears.

(By the way, change the two lines above in the the code that have "{command, option}" in them to just say "{command}", and you have a script/application that will use the standard Get Info, instead of Summary Get Info.

Good luck.
Dennis R. Metzcher

Forum Links
Forum Rules