Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > upgrade to 9.1 ...why?

upgrade to 9.1 ...why?
mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Mar 10, 2001, 12:11 AM

I was debating about upgrading to 9.1 but after reading everyones' posts It's pretty obvious that it is not a stable operating system. I have heard nothing to convince me of upgrading.
Thanks everyone I am sorry you guys had to be the victim. but I am going to wait for now, I hope OS X isn't this bad.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/mikithecrackhead/
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

Cipher13
Mar 10, 2001, 12:29 AM

OSX is much worse
Keep 9.04.
The CD full install of 9.1 might be ok...
Not the downloaded update though. Avoid that.

Cipher13

DocWest
Senior User
Mar 10, 2001, 12:31 AM

You do realise that usually only people who have problems will post.
People trying to find out if it's normal that it's not working right.

Oh yeah, I wanna rant:

I'm sick of the people who say why mess with success.
WTF? how are you gonna get anywhere if you don't try new things.
What if it is better??
You'd never know because you're settling for something.
jeez, don't ever settle, when there is a possibility of getting something better!
but it suits my needs just fine
SO WHAT?!
If you upgrade, it might even suit your needs even better.

you'll never never know if you never never go.

okay, i'm done.

presspics
Mar 10, 2001, 12:46 AM

OS 9.1 is Rock Solid !!! It also prepares your system for OSX. I don't know what Cipher is talking about. But 9.1 Rocks and OSX will be even better. I should have my OSX very soon since I pre-ordered it. Will let you know

Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2001, 12:46 AM

I'm running 9.1 on my Pismo 400 and I've had all of 3 (I counted) crashes since I installed it the first day the one-part installer was available. It's rock-solid and a lot better than 9.0.4. I would highly advise to upgrade.

------------------
For great justice!
http://cafepress.com/rockman/
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

crazycylon
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2001, 02:14 AM

I have downloaded the 9.1 update and installed as per the instructions and I have not experinced any problems yet. I have been running for two weeks and everything appears to be working. My printer still works etc.

------------------
As a man comes, so he departs.
As a man comes, so he departs.

Mosi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2001, 07:33 AM

You know what? If you don't want to update, you don't have to! You can stay with your slow, buggy stuff. We are no victims, you'll become one yourself listening to all the people saying that their compis don't run anymore because of OS9.1 problems. Perhaps the problems were there before they updated and just showed up under OS9.1?
But please stop saying OS9.1 is not stable. Thats not true, for me and the majority of people it is the stablest OS9.x ever and the fastest too. And its not true that the update don't work. It may be that some things are missing (like Colortsync), but I used the downlodable update and have no problems.
And when you want OSX, it is recomended to update to OS9.1.
And yes, I can here the voices already, 'Oh, don't install OSX, it is absolutly not stable, please help us, keep your fingers of OSX! OSX is crap, because it crashes when I start my Popupwhenpressingallbuttons0.02beta tool from OS6.04!' and so on.

Mosi

pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2001, 07:53 AM

I downloaded the 9.1 upgrade 2 weeks ago and it is very stable,running faster(a little)then 9.04.
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

Cipher13
Mar 10, 2001, 09:35 AM

Theres only one way to find out - test it for yourself.
For me it causes crashes much more often.
For some people it causes regular disk corruption.
For some its great.
I used the update, so did this other person.
How about you lot post which you used and whether its been good or bad...

Cipher13

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2001, 10:38 AM

As long as you follow directions, and install OS 9.1 correctly, it should be a smooth transition. I've upgraded to every system update since 7.0 on various Macs, and this one was no different, no more complicated! And I did it with OS 9.1 download, on the day it premiered (which is contrary to my usual habit of doing a "clean install!").

For me, OS 9.1 is, by far, the most stable, fastest OS ever for the Mac! I've had exactly one system freeze since upgrading, with NO other problems at all. The only downside that I've seen, is that each consecutive system update requires ever more Ram, which, fortunately, is cheap enough that my Pismo 500 runs with 384 MB (and I'm thinking of getting 2 - 512's to replace this, now that they run ~ $200 each!)

I do some preventive maintenance, using Disk Warrior and TechTool Pro on a weekly basis - it doesn't take long, and this may make a difference, although I rarely find problems with my PB.

I'll wait to update to OS X until 10.1 is released this summer, though - too much talk of missing features in 10.0 (I need DVD player, and don't want to reboot to Classic for this every time!) Everything else I've read about OS X has been very positive, though, and I'm looking forward to "the next great thing" from Apple with this!

iBorg
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 15.4" Glossy, 160GB - and loving it!

mikithecrackhead  (op)
Senior User
Mar 10, 2001, 10:57 AM

That's what I wanted to hear, people's experience with OS 9.1.
I keep hearing/reading a lot of negative stuff. not to much of the good things.
thanks

bluebean
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2001, 08:26 PM

Downloaded the 9.1 international parts version by mistake and installed, worked fine, and have since downloaded the whole downloadable version (North American this time), and it works fine too on three machines.

muttfree
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2001, 10:13 PM

OS 9.1.........Works great on my B&W G3, faster, more stable and easier to use and virtually NO CRASHING .........I have updated to every new OS version since 8.5.1, and never had any problems at all. You just HAVE TO READ AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE READ-ME FILES ......

Most people that have problems are those that have VERY old applications that they forget to download updates for PRIOR to installing the OS upgrade, or those that have mega-bloated-overloaded system folders with lots of old extensions,CP's and other stuff left over from who-knows-what installs years ago. Also those that have limited free HD space and/or RAM also have problems, since each new OS version always requires more of both...........

HTH
You can have me mac when u pry me cold, dead fingas off da mothabowd :eek:

Jausse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2001, 04:23 AM

I installed 9.1 from the CD on a clean partition before importing all my apps and prefs. It works like a charm; More stable than 9.04, and also faster. Wake up time (300mhz rev.a iBook 160mb memory) about 1second, much faster than with 9.04.

------------------
"We are such stuff as
dreams are made on,
And our little life is
rounded with a sleep."
Prospero, IV.1.

[This message has been edited by Jausse (edited 03-11-2001).]
"We are such stuff as
dreams are made on,
And our little life is
rounded with a sleep."
Prospero, IV.1.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2001, 01:46 PM

The only problem I can link to 9.1 is with DVD playing. Movie locks up every time on 9.1 with either "9.1 base" or "9.1 all" extension set. Went back to 9.0.4 on another drive and partition and it played fine.

Gigabit DP 550/896 RAM/Radeon BTO/Orion/OS9.1/9.0.4

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2001, 05:27 PM

I have to agree with Cipher13 I had some minor glitches and problems with the download updater but the full install CD worked fine. I also initialized the drives with new DRive Setup, partitioned, full clean install. All the glitches vanished.

Bad updater. Damaged Preference folder. Energy Saver sleep problem. USB modem was iffy. have tried to convince people that the full install - maybe the OS X package at this point being a better value - is only way to go.

Gregory

Solobrus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2001, 06:05 PM

I've been using 9.1 since a few days after MSWF, and in my personal experience it's fantastic! I was really starting to get frustrated with Apple after the general crappiness of both 9.0 and 9.0.4, but 9.1 has met and exceeded my expectations. I definitely recommend the upgrade to anyone running 9.0.4!

DocWest
Senior User
Mar 11, 2001, 09:26 PM

I'm using the downloaded 9.1 updater. The international english one.
installed straight over 9.04 and it's about the same as 9.04.

I can't say that it has made any difference to the stability of my comp, it might have, but I don't notice it really.
But i like certain things in 9.1, esp the faster file sharing startup.

Oh yeah, and i regularly run norton diskdoctor and defrag with speeddisk. I like to keep my mac in top shape.

mikithecrackhead  (op)
Senior User
Mar 12, 2001, 12:02 AM

what version of Norton's do you run. I don't know whether to upgrade to 6 or purchase tech tools utilities.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2001, 04:52 AM

Classic Enviroment will require at least 9.1. TBOMK

Cipher13
Mar 12, 2001, 04:59 AM

Originally posted by oscar:
Classic Enviroment will require at least 9.1. TBOMK
Yah, it will.
Its pretty decent too apart from just closing every now and then...

Cipher13

stabler
Mar 12, 2001, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by mikithecrackhead:
I was debating about upgrading to 9.1 but after reading everyones' posts It's pretty obvious that it is not a stable operating system. I have heard nothing to convince me of upgrading.
I had problems w/ initial install. Concluded it was due to an excess of 3rd party extensions, etc. AND a bad download on one of images. Got a fresh download, my G4 256 meg runs like a charm. Faster than 9.04 and more stable.

petek
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2001, 02:12 AM

I've got what you might call a worst case configuration/situation and am DAMN GLAD I installed OS 9.1!

Rev 1 beige G3 upgraded with Formac G3/466, 192 MB RAM, Maxtor 40 GB Diamondmax Plus & VST Firewire/USB. Sounds pretty good, you say? Well read on.

Oh yes, I'm sharing an Epson 600 over a home network using a kluge of Epson Share which thinks it's talking to a 640 and I'm on a DSL run by a ship of fools. I've also stuffed in a couple of different USB/Firewire boards and had to install EnterNet when my ISP screwed with their authentication protocols (I usually use a router to buffer me from them).

I use Netscape (4.7.6) so I expect it to crash (it doesn't disappoint me), but surprise, surprise, the OS doesn't go with it. OS 9.1 is the first Mac OS I've encountered where the 'you should restart' error message after an app crash had any real possibility of success. Alot of the time I get by without doing the restart.

Despite my best efforts to thwarth it, OS 9.1 has only hard crashed (requiring a forced restart) about two or three time since I installed it a month ago. And one or two of those were because I lived dangerously and kept going after Netscape crashed. Hell, after my experience with 9.1 I just might go and get X.I to see if Apple is on a roll!

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2001, 07:51 AM

i whipped in the cd, installed and finished in under 10 min, read nothing, changed nothing. everything that used to work, still works the same! it never crashes...and cmd-shift delete empties trash like os x! what more could i ask for...

Stinkfist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2001, 03:59 AM

I've been using 9.1 since three days after MWSF, and it has done nothing but put a smile on my face! It is faster than 9.0.4 by a bit, finder actions seem snappier. Most importantly, my system hardley ever crashes with 9.1. 9.0.4 crashed at least once per day on me, 9.1 crashes perhaps once per week. It is rock solid. It looks virtually the same as 904, but Apple reworked much of the code and gave it a new "nanokernal", meaning that instead of bloating it with features, they concentrated on improving stability and speed.

You must be careful of making conclusions based on "bitch-posts" in this forum. Usually people only post about problems they are having with a new OS, it would be pointless for everyone to post "installed new OS, works perfectly". However if you do a search there are a few threads here that basically say as much.

Most of the problems seem to be with people using older apps with OS 9.1, or they updated 9.0.4 which already was corrupted and would up with an even more unstable 9.1.

As a final compliment to 9.1, I must say that OS X will have to deliver an awful lot to get me to update from 9.1. I'm entirely content with the stability and speed of 9.1, and see virtually no reason whatsoever to upgrade to OS X and it's inferior GUI. OS 9.1 combined with TaskMenuBar is a dream come true!

------------------
Forget the dock, TaskMenuBar is real GUI innovation:
http://home.netcom.com/~kawahara/taskmenubar.html
Forget the dock, TaskMenuBar is real GUI innovation:
http://home.netcom.com/~kawahara/taskmenubar.html

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2001, 10:53 PM

I'm happy with 9.1 here too. The only App. that crashes on me anymore is Netscape 4.76, but that's beginning to sound familiar....

I'm on icab now, and it's gone down on me once or twice, but hasn't taken the system with it. One of my daughter's ten dollar educational cd rom's locked up the machine yeaterday, but other than that, it had run for about three days straight without a restart.

Tech Tool Pro found some "unusual" problems with my cube the first time I ran it last fall, but everything's run great since then. I highly reccomend this program. (I'm responsible for four macs of varying ages at work, and it's my main tool.)

Apple posted a firmware update for the DVD on the cube awhile back and another for the G4 AGP Graphics (feb. 2000) towers. I'd definitely download either of those, if applicable.

I think 9.1 is real solid.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules