Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacOS 9.1= great!

MacOS 9.1= great!
pete
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2001, 11:26 PM

I haven't read all the posts here about how bad 9.1 is but this is my experience:

Installed 9.1 when it first came out over my old 9.04. I didn't notice any improvement or worsening. It was not more crash prone than anything else I've used before. Couldn't recommend it. But couldn't recomment against it either.

About a week ago my hard drive started making strange noises. I decided that I hadn't done a clean install for a year or so and that I should take this opportunity to do clean up. I did a low level reformatting and installed first 9.04 and then the update to 9.1 and after that used Apple's software update and updated with the recommended software. Then I installed all my stuff.

What have I noticed?

1. Extremely stable. No crash since last week (normally one per 48 hours approx.)
2. Generally snappy feeling compared with 9.04
3. VERY FAST wakeup time. Just three seconds as compared to 9.04 which took around 10-15seconds!!! So nice
4. The strange hd noises are totally gone.

I'm extremely pleased with the upgrade. Before I reformatted 9.1 wasn't faster, more stable or faster wakeup. After it's a new machine. Okay, maybe not a new machine but an improved one at least....a pismo 400mhz by the way.

eddieP
Mar 16, 2001, 01:22 PM

you say a very fast wakeup...every so often when i wake it up it just freezes i have seen some discussions on this but haven't been able
to fix it

i have a G4 DP 500 running 9.1 -- any ideas

i suspect iTunes

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2001, 09:19 PM

Sorry can't help you. Interestingly, I've noticed in the last few days that wake up time has increased from the initial three seconds to around six....strange. I'd be curious if anybody knows what causes speed/delays at wakeup. I don't understand why wakeup time would start increasing like this.

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules