Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Finder Causes Volume Header Damage

Finder Causes Volume Header Damage
Josuah
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 1999, 07:41 PM

I've been having problems with the stability of my system ever since installing Mac OS 9 and it seems that the Finder itself is causing Volume Header Damage.

I stared up with extensions off. I ran Disk First Aid and it reported that it needed to fix a Volume Header bit block 7,0 (or something similar). So, I fixed it, then ran Repair again without quitting Disk First Aid and no damage was found. I then quit, and the Finder re-launched. Going back into Disk First Aid, I ran Repair again and the damage was back.

It seems to be causing memory errors. I keep dropping into MacsBug with bus errors, PC memory exceptions, or unaligned address exceptions.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 1999, 08:32 PM

sounds bad... could you tell us which Mac you have?

did you do a clean install or reinitialize and install?

in either case did you do a custom or easy install?

Josuah  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 1999, 01:53 AM

I have a Beige G3/300. I'm not sure which revision, but I purchased it in June 1998. It has a Machine ID of 510 and ROM revision $77D.4OF2. I just upgraded my existing System Folder off of the Developer CD I received. It was a custom install.

Since you ask either a clean install or reinit (format) and install, does that mean I missed something and should not have simply ugpraded my existing system? I've been running on minimal extensions since this problem first cropped up. I'd post a list but it's something around 210 extensions and control panels. I did check with the compatibility listings here on MacNN and didn't see anything which might conflict.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 1999, 03:07 AM

Well, not that you missed something, not necessarily... that is not why I ask about how you arrived at the OS currently on your Mac. This gives me a better idea of where your Mac is, as I obviously do not use it.

Anyway, I have found that wiping the HD clean and then doing an install is best. And you did use a developer beta, not the GM? Well, hey... bingo. Still, I assume you did allow the installer to update your HD driver? And why a custom install? Do an easy install... there's where you may have 'missed something'.

Again, I'd say backup and wipe that HD and do it again, this time with the GM release of 9.

I guarantee you that in a very few weeks after the dust settles, I'll be doing just exactly that, wiping my HD and installing 9.
No custom install at first, maybe a little later on another HD!

Josuah  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 1999, 07:05 PM

Well, I don't think that my distro of Mac OS 9 is a developer beta. I received it with my developer mailing and not as a seed. When I go to About This Macintosh, it doesn't list a beta, and there isn't any funkiness in the Finder menus that would indicate this is not a GM distro. The System Update control panel also does not list any updates as available.

I let the installer do whatever it wanted to my HD; I'm assuming that it updated the driver during the progress bar but I wasn't paying too close attention.

I always run a custom install so I can add and remove components I don't need. For example, I want to make sure all the speech software is installed.

Perhaps I should wipe the HD and do a clean install though. I figured that might be the way to go but I am reluctant because sometimes apps don't come back correctly from a backup--it can be a hassle. If some time frees up I'll probably end up doing this.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 1999, 08:30 PM

Joshua, have a look here if you haven't already... http://www.macnn.com/mactips/

Josuah  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 1999, 04:45 PM

Yeah, I checked it out a couple of days ago. Thanks for the tip.

Josuah  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 1999, 09:08 PM

I just received my upgrade to Norton Utilities 5.0 and after examining my disk with Disk Doctor, I am no longer having this problem. I guess Disk First Aid simply didn't catch everything.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 1999, 09:37 PM

DFA rarely does catch everything... I should've said something before but am very reticent to tell people to buy WHATEVER third-party util...

it always seems to degenerate into a useless discussion: "this is best!"... "NO! this is best!", when in actuality they all have their drawbacks... whatEVER anyone likes is the best for THAT person.

`8-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules