Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > why can't i rebuild my desktop?

why can't i rebuild my desktop?
pml589
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2002, 10:04 PM

My imac running 9.0.4 had a crash awhile ago, and now all (most) of my icons are blank and white. I read somewhere that I should rebuild my desktop. Well, I tried, and nothing happens. I am pretty sure I am doing it correctly--hold down the option and apple keys at startup until i am asked if i want to rebuild the desktop. Thanx
-=P-Lo=-

AMDG
http://www.cnnpromos.com/supercrew/feature.htm

CityGuy2003
Jan 1, 2002, 10:29 PM

so it gives you the option to rebuild the desktop? what happens when you click "okay" or whatever the agreement option is?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 1, 2002, 11:19 PM

MacOS question, moving there... Thanks!
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Cipher13
Jan 2, 2002, 02:21 AM

Hold them just before the extensions finish loading; the time you need to hold Apple-Option is as the Finder loads.

You can also force-quit the Finder then hold them instead of rebooting.

It should work.

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2002, 02:03 PM

Instead of force quitting the Finder, use the following AppleScript:

tell app "Finder"
quit
end tell
beep
tell app "Finder"
run
end tell

Hold down the keys when the beep sounds. Then go into the Finder when it asks for your attention.

(118)

pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2002, 06:38 PM

Try Tech tool lite to rebuild your desktop for you,works great for me.
http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...id=4415&db=mac
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2002, 11:08 PM

I recently had this problem with my PowerBook G4 too, I tried restarting and force quiting the finder. I even used Norton Utilities to try to rebuild the desktop. Norton would say rebuilding desktop but not do anything.

I had to connect the PB in firewire target mode to my desktop and rebuild it on there, I don't know why but it just did not want to rebuild on it's own.

tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2002, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by tullamore:
<STRONG>

I had to connect the PB in firewire target mode to my desktop and rebuild it on there, I don't know why but it just did not want to rebuild on it's own.</STRONG>
Hi.

Did it rebuild on it`s own after you had done this in firewire T mode?

Tom.

<anonymous>
Jan 3, 2002, 02:27 PM

Your desktop directory structure is corrupted. Rebuilding the Apple way (command & option keys held down) won't work if this is the case. Using Sherlock or ResEdit, you need to find your invisible Desktop data file and Desktop database file(DF and DB files) and move them to the trash. Now reboot. New ones will be created automagically. This is what TechTool Lite etc., does. There are also some shareware/freeware extensions and control panels that will do this. Apple recommends rebuilding your desktop monthly.

Cipher13
Jan 3, 2002, 07:16 PM

I'd also recommend running DiskWarrior over your drive... better safe than sorry. You can do this instead too, but do both. Why not?

pml589  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2002, 12:12 AM

Thanx for all of the responses, guys. But actually, b4 i got these responses, i had already arranged for some computer guy to come over to my house and fix it. I'm pretty sure that he used disk warrior, so maybe I'll get myself a copy of that.
-=P-Lo=-

AMDG
http://www.cnnpromos.com/supercrew/feature.htm

Forum Links
Forum Rules