Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > file back up software

file back up software
real
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2001, 05:04 AM

What is the best file backup software out there I would like it to be able to backup certain folders on the machine to a remote macine over a network. project files and other stuff. that type of thing. I will have one drive on the remote machine that will be just for the backup stuff. what is the best way of setting this up.
thanks fore the help real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Cipher13
Aug 5, 2001, 06:06 AM

Personally, I'd just use the manual method, good ole drag-n'-drop.
Log on, copy the files you need, and be done with it.

No need for fancy software..

real  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2001, 06:55 AM

is there software that can do it on a schedle basis sorry have horrible spelling. So like at 12:00 am or what ever There software will backup whatever needs to backed up From the folders to the backup volume. thanks for the help on both of the topics cipher. real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Aug 5, 2001, 02:54 PM

real; My place of work uses Retrospect Backup 4.3. It'll let you write a script and schedule all different kinds of backups. The software itself is very simple to use. I do believe you can also make it backup accross a network to a specific system. You can backup to just about any writable media as-well. You can restore "lost" work if it's on a backup using a fairly intuitive search and restore method which is built-in.
http://www.dantz.com

I've never actually backed up "accross" a network, but My guess is you'd just need whatever volume you'd back-up to to be mounted on the system your backing up from. Then Retrospect will see the volume. It's a very useful piece of software especially if you need to backup some large quantity of Data and simply don't have the time to drag and drop files. You can schedule it to do it's thing while your asleep or something (for example).

Mike

crazycylon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2001, 07:26 PM

Synchronize works really well for backing up as well.

I use synchronize myself to back up my hard drive onto my firewire drive on a schedule. Much faster than the finder, so far I really like it.

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: crazycylon ]
As a man comes, so he departs.

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2001, 12:30 AM

Retrospect is the way to go. They have been around for as long as Mac OS and have both consumer and professional products to do what you are looking to do.

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: spicyjeff ]

wANCO tHE sANE
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2001, 01:32 AM

I also think you can do this with Applescript....

I put a V-TECH sticker on my iMac DV 400 and i'm burnin' Geo Metro's left and right.

Forum Links
Forum Rules