Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Making a back-up of a CD using Disc Burner

Making a back-up of a CD using Disc Burner
GRAFF
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2001, 11:15 AM

I can't figure out how to make a back-up copy of a CD using Disc Burner and my iBook with SuperDrive. Easy enough to create an image of a disc, but how to create a new CD from the image....

Thanks!

Cipher13
Aug 8, 2001, 08:55 PM

Disc Burner is very limited and... quite simply... crap.
Without manually copying the files into the disc image Disc Burner uses to burn from, it can't really be done, I don't think.

What you may be able to do (this is completely theoretical), is replace the Disc Image that DB uses to burn from with your own, and sorta trick it - this would require making a new CD, copy a few things, don't dismount it, find the image cache, delete it and replace it with yours, assuming the format is correct.

If I were you, I'd get Toast... its awesome.

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2001, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>If I were you, I'd get Toast... its awesome.</STRONG>
Couldn't agree more. I love Toast 5.01
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2001, 12:28 AM

This option is not easily available in Disc Burner. You can drag the CD onto Disk Copy and target it to the disk which represents the CD about to be burned. That will create a NON-BOOTABLE backup of the original CD. Also, I would like to say that I have never turned a CD into a coaster using Disc Burner over the past month. The last time I used Toast, I wrecked about 10 in a week.

(66)

Cipher13
Aug 9, 2001, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by AppleScript:
<STRONG>The last time I used Toast, I wrecked about 10 in a week.

(66)</STRONG>
Just as some opposition to that, I think its only fair that I state I've only had 2 coasters with Toast, ever - both of them my fault (using Toast 4 Deluxe, with Powerkey/Rebound mode on, I accidentally launched Photoshop while burning... oops )

AppleScript, what version of Toast was that, with what burner?

GRAFF  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2001, 05:06 AM

Thanks for the tip. Is Toast compatible with the Apple super drive in my iBook?

WMG

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2001, 06:48 PM

That was on a Centris 650 with 7.61. I can't remember what type of burner it was(I think it was LaCie), but it was Toast 4.12. I was just making CDs, when it crashed for no obvious reason.

(67)

Cipher13
Aug 10, 2001, 04:08 AM

The super drive in your iBook...? If you mean the Combo Drive, then, I assume so, but I don't know for sure.

AppleScript:

Theres your prob

1. Centris. Too slow - slow SCSI also - not enough RAM.
2. 7.61 - not the best resource managing MacOS
3. Toast 4.12... I like it but it has some compatibility issues.
4. LaCie... well... its not a Yamaha

My 5500 barely burned CD's when I had Toast 4.12 and 32 RAM... I now have no probs on it (more RAM), and on the G4, never a prob...

GRAFF  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2001, 10:38 AM

"The super drive in your iBook...? If you mean the Combo Drive, then, I assume so, but I don't know for sure."

Well, I think it's super. Imagine the tie-in (It's Super! Thanks for asking!)

OK, I will hence forth call it the "Combo Drive" which sounds like a sandwich, if you ask me.

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2001, 12:28 AM

I am working with a FireWire CRX120E drive, an iMac DV 450 with 64MB RAM, and 9.1. The Centris 650 can support 136MB of RAM. You haven't pointed out why it would crash like that or pointed out exactly what the compatibility issues are. I would much prefer to work with Disc Burner than a unstable, expensive, CPU hog that Adaptec has the nerve to call CD writing software.

(68)

Forum Links
Forum Rules