Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Buy One Leopard for 2 Computers?

Buy One Leopard for 2 Computers?
meagain
Jan 4, 2007, 02:12 PM

I'm getting sketchy info on this and wanted to clear it up. I'm not sure how Apple works in this regard as I just 'switched'. I have an iMac and want to buy a Macbook. When Leopard comes out, can I just buy one copy for both Macs without upgrading to the "family" version? If I can't buy Leopard for both computers, then I'll just wait to buy the Macbook (which would suck).
Can someone please clarify how this works? A guy at the Apple store said I can just buy a single copy for both and said "Apple is cool like that". But I want to make sure. Thanks!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2007, 02:20 PM

Legally you need to purchase a copy for each computer or a family pack for up to 5 computers. At least that's the rule in Tiger and I doubt that will change. Nobody on this forum here knows whether Leopard will introduce technical means to enforce these rules.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2007, 02:26 PM

Legally speaking, you're supposed to buy two. Apple has always been pretty conservative as far as copy protection goes, though.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2007, 02:36 PM

You should go with the family pack. It's $199 and covers up to 5 machines. What the "guy at the Apple store" said is not technically legal. As far as getting caught -- it's likely it would be just you and your conscience.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2007, 02:38 PM

Just to echo the above.

Legally, you need a copy per machine. But theres nothing to stop you installing it on multiple machines (i.e. no serial numbers, no checks made by apple etc).
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Bryanmc
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2007, 03:54 PM

Besides it being wrong to install on multiple machines, to me it goes back to supporting a company that I love. I'd be much more tempted to steal copies of Windows.

I'm happy to buy the family pack for OSX.
MacBook Pro - 2.0GHz Core Duo
iBook - 1.2GHz G4
PowerMac - Dual Core 2.3GHz G5
Mac mini - 1.25GHz G4

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2007, 04:31 PM

Go buy the Macbook, and "ponder" what to do next... It may be a while before 10.5 comes out.
My Blog-pakos.me

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2007, 04:42 PM

From a technological perspective, Apple is not likely to stop you. They don't tend to go into such intrusive technologies.

License-wise, however, you do need to upgrade to the Family Pack if you want to install on more than one machine.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

meagain  (op)
Jan 4, 2007, 05:15 PM

Thank you. I never had to buy one from MS either so I didn't know how it worked for either company. I hope to get over my fears with the MacBook (heat & porous plastic) to be able to get one soon. I finally made friends with my iMac. Yea!

Forum Links
Forum Rules