Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Where can I find more good African music?

Where can I find more good African music?
macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 12:07 PM

http://www.christophertin.com/samples/BabaYetu.mp3

I love this stuff. This is the music that plays in the Civilization IV menu. Does anyone know where I can find more music like this? Any particular CDs?

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Jan 15, 2007, 12:09 PM

Try Africa?

Seriously, maybe try some torrent sites?
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2007, 02:57 PM

Oooo, I love that stuff too... Ever since I first played Ciilization IV I've been wondering where to get that song.

Thanks macintologist, you just made my day.

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2007, 03:07 PM

Check out the rest of his work. (In the parent folder of your original link).

I'm sure you've heard Lion King's "Circle of Life" - falls within the same category if you ask me.

Although not African, I find the first song of the soundtrack to Disney's "Notre Dame" ("Bells of Notre Dame"...?) to be of the same "might"...

Let me know if you find anything else. I'm SO tired of my iTunes music library... :>

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by cla View Post
Oooo, I love that stuff too... Ever since I first played Ciilization IV I've been wondering where to get that song.

Thanks macintologist, you just made my day.
No problem dude. You can get all the Civ IV music in the Assets -> Sounds -> Soundtrack folder

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2007, 05:28 PM

Check calabashmusic.com. They sell music from all over the world in mp3 format, and you can browse the site by region/country. I think a lot of stuff they sell is also available via eMusic, but you don't have to use a weird prepaid plan like eMusic's. You can listen to clips of anything via an embedded player (better than eMusic's annoying .m3u downloads), though the actual downloading of tracks you buy is a little annoying: there's a page listing all your purchases, and you have to click them one at a time to download). Lack of DRM is really nice if you listen your songs on phones or mp3 CDs.

I believe Smithsonian Folkways Records has a pretty huge catalog that you can purchase in unfettered mp3 format, though I don't have the web site handy at the moment.

Have fun!
Y.
( Last edited by slugslugslug; Jan 15, 2007 at 05:34 PM. )

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2007, 06:11 PM

Just as a side note, I believe Baba Yetu is the Lord's prayer (Our Father) in Swahili.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 06:16 PM

There's also a really great underrated movie called The Secret Garden that has a cracking African soundtrack as well.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 06:20 PM

Ladysmith Black Mambazo.

Really good stuff, and a cappella too. Don't know how well known they are in the US of A but they are popular here.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
There's also a really great underrated movie called The Secret Garden that has a cracking African soundtrack as well.

greg
i lol'd

NYK Ace
Senior User
Jan 16, 2007, 02:45 PM

funny thing is im listening to toto - africa right now, i assume thats not what your looking for though

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jan 16, 2007, 04:44 PM

The disc "Memphis to Mali" by the Puntamayo label has a nice selection of African music and ties in well with the blues also on the disc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules