Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Mac Pro + 2 Video Cards + Boot Camp

Mac Pro + 2 Video Cards + Boot Camp
tracyfloyd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2007, 10:04 AM

I don't want any kind of dual card SLI configuration that I read about with the two video cards...
I just need to be able to use 3 monitors with Windows... will Boot Camp allow me to use the second video card to do this?

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2007, 08:42 AM

I don't know if Windows supports multi-monitors but I got Windows to stop monitor mirroring by going to AMD's web site and downloading the latest driver package for the 1900 series video card (the larger of the two you'll find there).

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 15, 2007, 10:04 AM

Windows itself does support multiple monitors. But the drivers for the two video cards have to both support other video cards AND they have to properly talk to the OS.

Boot Camp is ONLY a utility to partition your drive and install Windows-it has nothing to do with HOW Windows works. Further, it provides drivers for your Mac-specific hardware (including the video card in your Mac Pro). It's possible that whatever second card you get will support this, but it's up to you do to the homework to find an appropriate card that will do what you want.

Now for my curiosity-why do you need three monitors? I've seen a lot of applications for two, but none for three. What's your application/purpose?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Windows itself does support multiple monitors. But the drivers for the two video cards have to both support other video cards AND they have to properly talk to the OS.

Boot Camp is ONLY a utility to partition your drive and install Windows-it has nothing to do with HOW Windows works. Further, it provides drivers for your Mac-specific hardware (including the video card in your Mac Pro). It's possible that whatever second card you get will support this, but it's up to you do to the homework to find an appropriate card that will do what you want.

Now for my curiosity-why do you need three monitors? I've seen a lot of applications for two, but none for three. What's your application/purpose?
I don't know tracyfloyd's reason for three monitors, but I do a little swing and position trading so one monitor is for displaying live streaming quotes coming off of the exchanges, another for charting, and another for doing research and keeping up with the news. CNBC is on all day on a HDTV for a total of four displays—a huge improvement from what I have been running.

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2007, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
What does "drivers for the video cards have to both support other video cards" mean?

The only thing you should do is buy the same brand as your current card (ATI or Nvidia). Even if you don't you can still get it working. I currently have 4 monitors (Matrox G550 and Nvidia 6600GT).
MBP 1.83

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2007, 05:23 AM

What I'm learning is that I think it would be best to have the same vendor for both video cards. I've got an X1900XT and 7300GT video card. The first thing Windows will tell you in the displays control panel is that both Apple drivers (from the CD you made with Boot Camp before you installed Windows) are out of date. I downloaded the newest ATI driver and software. It is aware of the 7300GT but I cannot extend the Windows desktop to my third monitor (two monitors are plugged into the 1900).

Meanwhile, Nvidia's web site refuses to download and software drivers that are of use to me so I cannot update the 7300GT drivers because I cannot find the right page to download driver software that works.

Forum Links
Forum Rules