Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Anyone have a wireless ISP?

Anyone have a wireless ISP?
Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2007, 08:52 PM

Comcast has been giving me troubles lately, and meanwhile Clearwire has installed a broadcast antenna on the roof of my building. Clearwire claims to offer the whole service wirelessly, though they do want to sell me a modem (free with 2 year contract though).

Does anyone have experience with Clearwire or a similar (wireless) ISP? What's the modem for, and do I need one if I have an airport card? Does it work with Macs? Is the signal strong and/or reliable?

TIA

gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2007, 01:49 AM

I don't have experience with a wireless ISP but I can answer some of your questions about why they want to sell you a modem. First, it assures them that you have a strong antenna and signal to connect with them. Second, some of their customers may have desktops without a wireless card. And third, it gives them a consistent interface to configure which eases customer support. However, if your computer can communicate directly with the ISP, then you shouldn't need the modem.

gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2007, 05:20 PM

A couple of more reasons came to mind. If there are multiple computers in the household connecting to this ISP, then they would all go through the same modem with a router, similar to the configuration you'd use connecting to a cable company. This modem-router would then act as a firewall to your local network. If you connect to the ISP directly with you computer, then everyone on the network will have access to your computer. This is probably a bigger problem with Windows machines than with Macs, but it's something you should be aware of.

rjt1000
Senior User
Feb 2, 2007, 07:46 PM

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 09:49 PM

We were going to go with a local wireless ISP, but after coming to our house three times with antennas, they could never get a signal due to a small wooded area across the street. We ended up getter Verizon DSL.

Forum Links
Forum Rules