Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 3.0 GHZ Xeon Mac PRO issue, CRAZY Fan Speed

3.0 GHZ Xeon Mac PRO issue, CRAZY Fan Speed
kronos[pka]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2007, 08:49 PM

i just recently got my mac Pro, and works fine, after ~1 week of having it, my fans went at a VERY VERY Fast speed, basicly my mac sounds like a vacume cleaner.

Fans are on at all times, even if i sit at the bootmenu. Computer works fine, play games etc etc.

This is a refurbished mac btw,

Is there anyway to fix this ?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2007, 09:01 PM

Your computer is defaulting to full-blast mode for some reason, as you've noted. Mac Pros don't have plastic air deflectors like G5s had, but I'd still take the machine offline and verify that the case's cover is placed properly and securely locked. Otherwise, I'd check to make sure you have adequate ventilation in the back of the tower. If you've done those things, the next thing I'd try would be to run the Hardware Test to see if it records any errors with the fans.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

kronos[pka]  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2007, 09:13 PM

i keep my computer under the desk, the wall is about 1 foot away. I took the mac out of there, put it in the middle of the room, plugged only the powercord, turned on. Went to full blast again. I also checked to see if the case is all sealed up, it is, i dont even know how to open it

What kind of program can i use to "test" the mac ?

kronos[pka]  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2007, 10:49 PM

i got a cool widget that tells me the temp, is this right ? (notice heatsink a)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2007, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by kronos[pka] View Post
What kind of program can i use to "test" the mac ?
Apple Hardware Test.

Boot from the original OS X install DVD and hold d. That should get you started.

kronos[pka]  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2007, 10:15 AM

The test completed successfully. Problem is still there.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2007, 11:09 AM

Have you tried resetting the PRAM and the SMC?

If that doesn't do the trick, I'd guess a temp sensor (or its cable) went bad. Show it to a genius or call AppleCare.

kronos[pka]  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2007, 01:47 PM

I turned the mac on this morning it didnt seem to do it anymore, but CPU A Heatsink was still high at about 60 C, and CPU B Heatsink was at around 25 C. Is that normal ?
(i left the computer unplugged all night)

I went to the an apple genious at my local apple store just now, he reseted the PRAM. He said that might of caused it. He said he dsnt know if it is normal to stay at 60 C.

Also, the guy at apple put a CD in called Apple Hardware Test or something, it was very cool, telling u EVERYTHING about the system. Is there a way i can get a copy of that ?
( Last edited by kronos[pka]; Feb 14, 2007 at 02:02 PM. )

Xarthan
Feb 14, 2007, 04:50 PM

Also, the guy at apple put a CD in called Apple Hardware Test or something, it was very cool, telling u EVERYTHING about the system. Is there a way i can get a copy of that ?
i got that with my applecare package.
Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D | 2GB | 160 HD
Mac Pro 3.0 | 4GB | 1.5 TB | 30" ACD

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2007, 05:11 PM

I also checked to see if the case is all sealed up, it is, i dont even know how to open it
Locking latch is at the back, pull up on the latch and the door will be unlocked. See the diagrams at http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Mac...ryDIMM_DIY.pdf

In the first few steps it shows how to open the case.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2007, 05:16 PM

If it's not the same thing as the Apple Hardware Test that Simon pointed to, it's likely an Apple Technician's diagnosis CD/DVD that only Apple Technicians have access to. For the PowerMac G5's there was a fan config tool that Apple Technicians had access to.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

kronos[pka]  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2007, 08:52 PM

after getting home and playing a little bit of World Of Warcraft, i notice now that cpu a heatsink went to 75 C again. Although its not in full blast mode. Is that normal ?

arng1
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2007, 12:33 AM

when I first got my Mac Pro the fans were at full blast all the time, I took it to the apple store and they had to replace the logic board due to a bad heat censor. Basically the computer thought the processor was running alot hotter than what it actually was. Thankfully it only took them 2 days to fix. Hope things work out better for you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules