Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Extended battery

Extended battery
Agent5556
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2007, 12:27 PM

I am pretty sure I have read it on here somewhere in the past, but the issue never concerned me until now. My PowerBook G4 ‘s battery use to last at least 3 hours, now after 2 years the battery only last about an hour. The battery is out of warranty obviously. I am going to have to buy a new battery, but since I am in the market I thought it might be a good idea to see if I could find an extended battery. I am sure its going to cost a little more, but will it be worth it in the long run? Or should I just scratch the idea and buy a new battery from mac? Or…finally, should I buy a battery from a third party? Thanks for the help. Have to run my battery is about to die. Go figure.

pcguy1
Feb 17, 2007, 01:57 PM

Unlike Dell or HP, the location of Apple laptop's battery compartment pretty much limited the amount of cell one can put in(Dell, HP, Sony extend battery all stick out the back).

You might try OWC which sell battery that they claimed hold a tad more charge then the one from Apple.

good luck
Do not settle for the world in shades of grey

freudling
Banned
Feb 17, 2007, 03:54 PM

Newer Tech sells extended batteries for PowerBooks. You are in luck, they make higher capacity batteries for the G4.

Chaoticjoe
Feb 18, 2007, 12:44 AM

Didn't Apple laptops run Sony batteries? And then they proved to fail and thusly Apple produced their own? You'd think your laptop would last longer than 3 hours anyway. You probably have an Apple battery right?
Hey...

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 01:32 AM

Apple does not produce their own brand of laptop battery.
Linkinus is king.

PSXBatou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2007, 04:13 AM

The MBP line uses Sony batteries IIRC, batteries don't last long even with advancements in LiON. I've had my MBP for just under 7 months and my battery is already showing 92% as is max charge in coconut battery

I was lucky when i had my G3 iBook, Apple replaced my battery under AppleCare, I doubt ill get the same treatment this time around. Or at least i don't expect it.

Agent5556  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2007, 04:40 PM

And where might be the best place to buy one of these batteries?

Forum Links
Forum Rules