Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB 1.5ghz 17" & lacie ethernet hard disk transfer speed

PB 1.5ghz 17" & lacie ethernet hard disk transfer speed
chumeister
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2007, 07:52 PM

I just bought a Lacie Ethernet 1TB drive to directly connect to my Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 17". Connecting it directly via the CAT5 cable they included and setting a specific IP address for the device I only get transfer speeds of about 5-6 MB/sec. My old firewire 400 drive is about 3 times as fast. I was hoping to get 1000 MBs transfer speed. I have no other network devices.

Will getting a ethernet gigabit swtich ensure I get full transfer speed? If so why?

Or is there something else wrong?

I don't currently own a switch or a router. I thought connecting directly with a set IP address should sort it all out but hasn't.

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2007, 08:24 PM

Your speed does seem a little slow. I would suspect there's something wrong but I'd think changing interfaces (e.g. moving from 100BaseTX to 1000BaseTX) would make no difference. BTW, that;s the maximum bus speed, your hard drive can't get close to filling it.

chumeister  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2007, 07:09 AM

So if it comes to pure speed of transfer rates - I should choose firewire over ethernet?

Although my current powerbook g4 supports firewire 800, I'm soon going to get a macbook and so will only be able to run firewire 400 - which in my tests still does better than the ethernet connection.

I really don't need a network drive. I only chose it because I thought the transfer speed for faster than firewire.

Cliff_O
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2007, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by chumeister View Post
So if it comes to pure speed of transfer rates - I should choose firewire over ethernet?
You should probably choose eSATA, assuming the G4 PC Card bus is running off the PCI bus and not USB 2.0. Someone else will have to answer that latter question as I don't have the answer.
MBP 15" - 2.33Ghz C2D-3GB RAM-120GB HD
PB 15"-1.25GHz G4-1.5GB RAM-80GB HD-Superdrive

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 12:40 PM

I just bought a Lacie Ethernet 1TB drive to directly connect to my Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 17". Connecting it directly via the CAT5 cable they included and setting a specific IP address for the device I only get transfer speeds of about 5-6 MB/sec. My old firewire 400 drive is about 3 times as fast. I was hoping to get 1000 MBs transfer speed.
I hope you don't mean 1000 Megabytes. Real world you might get around 110 MB/sec. in a perfect Gigabit Ethernet setup. Problem is, Apple uses cheap chipsets, so the transfer rate could be as low as 60 MB/sec.

Regards
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 02:53 PM

Although my current powerbook g4 supports firewire 800, I'm soon going to get a macbook and so will only be able to run firewire 400 - which in my tests still does better than the ethernet connection.

I really don't need a network drive. I only chose it because I thought the transfer speed for faster than firewire.
You could get an 800fw expresscard if you need to.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
You could get an 800fw expresscard if you need to.
Which won't give him transfer rates higher than 74 MB/sec*., FWIW.

PB.

*with dual disk systems, like the LaCie Bigger Disks
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Forum Links
Forum Rules