Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > eBay not compatible with OSX?

eBay not compatible with OSX?
iMacfan
Senior User
Feb 27, 2007, 07:07 AM

Hello all,

Every so often I sell off a couple of things through eBay, but for the last few days, Safari has not worked when clicking on the list item button, after putting in all the details and getting to the preview page. I sent off an email to eBay, only to get told that eBay is currently compatible with 'MSIE 6'.

Now, not only is 'MSIE 6' the worst browser known to man, it also is for ANOTHER OS! Are they seriously telling me that eBay is not compatible with the Mac, and has anyone else had any problems with eBay?

Thanks,

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

dav
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2007, 07:31 AM

i've noticed some slowness with safari (on ebay) at times, but it has always worked (clicking items, bidding, etc.). try camino.

(i'm using a g4 cube osx 10.3 and powermac g5 osx 10.4).
one post closer to five stars

spookymulderagain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2007, 07:41 AM

Hi,

I've suddenly developed the same problem after using Safari flawlessly with Ebay for years to sell stuff.

go through the whole process of setting up my item but when I click on List Item at the very last stage it stops dead, the button dims but nothing happens - no listing!

I have noticed this bizarre behaviour tho:

If I then click on reload page the page reloads. However before the page has fully loaded the List Item buttn appears and if I click on the List Item button before the page has loaded then it accepts the button click and works fin - it lists my item!!!
However this is really frustrating as I try to click on this button before the page has finished loading!

can anyone shed light on this? The only difference in my sustem has been the recent security update

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2007, 09:17 AM

My dad uses Firefox and hasn't called me to complain yet, use that.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 27, 2007, 09:34 AM

use GarageSale.
ice

MacFreak_uk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2007, 10:00 AM

I've not experienced any problems, but if you're having problems have you tried getting the Safari Debug menu bar working.

Type the following command in Terminal (while Safari is NOT running):

% defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

Then launch Safari, and enjoy the new Debug menu. You'll then be able to select Windows IE as a user agent.

good luck

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2007, 12:36 PM

It's a button that sends a list function or whatever to a database. Why the f**k would it be MSIE only?

Why are morons in charge of making websites?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

kick52
Baninated
Feb 27, 2007, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by MacFreak_uk View Post
I've not experienced any problems, but if you're having problems have you tried getting the Safari Debug menu bar working.

Type the following command in Terminal (while Safari is NOT running):

% defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

Then launch Safari, and enjoy the new Debug menu. You'll then be able to select Windows IE as a user agent.

good luck
just changing the user agent doesnt change the client browser, only how you identify your browser to the website. unless safari can actualy do this, and ebay is just stopping safari users doing this, it would work, but this doesnt make sense.

iMacfan  (op)
Senior User
Mar 2, 2007, 01:59 PM

Just an update:

I received a second reply from eBay, and this was much more encouraging. Basically, they acknowledged that the first reply wasn't relevant, and that they did know about the issue, and that they are on to it. So, hopefully it won't be a problem for too long.

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

voiceofra
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by iMacfan View Post
Just an update:

I received a second reply from eBay, and this was much more encouraging. Basically, they acknowledged that the first reply wasn't relevant, and that they did know about the issue, and that they are on to it. So, hopefully it won't be a problem for too long.

David
Hahah. The Support Monkey that fired off that 1st email to you had their work reviewed and the cleanup crew was called in

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2007, 02:45 PM

yeah the list item button didn't work for me. so i did that part in firefox after i'd already saved the draft of the auction.

Forum Links
Forum Rules