Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Any possibility of hacking OSX's audio to allow volume adjustment/optical?

Any possibility of hacking OSX's audio to allow volume adjustment/optical?
centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 20, 2007, 03:30 PM

I'm using a 24" iMac for a TV/main machine, and it's great. I have it hooked up to a DTS/DD decoder via optical, and honestly, it really bugs the crap out of me. I have read many places that 'audio volume adjustment' would decrease quality, but this doesn't really make sense. At all. Why? Because iTunes can adjust the volume on MP3s and whatnot without an issue.... so can other applications. So what am I getting at? Sure, turning down the volume on a digital file probably reduces the quality somewhat, but SO WHAT?! IT SHOULD BE MY CHOICE. If I want lossless full quality audio, turn my iMac's volume all the way up. It's that simple.

Other beefs with this:
1. I have to use two remotes, instead of the simple apple one for everything.
2. The keyboard is losing functionality. If you 'audio purist nazis' that want to force everyone to ONLY have lossless audio at all times, please explain the absense of functionality of the freaking MUTE button. Seems to me MUTE is MUTE, regardless of quality. Why is the mute button totally useless!?!?!

Again, windows does this without a problem. Also, I read somewhere that certain glitchy G5 powermacs were capable of volume adjustment via optical audio, if you switched from optical to analog without disconnecting the optical cable, or something like t hat. Does anybody know of ANY sort of hack that would allow me to control the volume of my computer THROUGH MY COMPUTER?! Quality be damned. Seriously. If I want super high quality I'll just turn it all the way up and adjust via the receiver....but I would like my control back!!!! PLEASE!

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2007, 03:47 PM

I think the default digital inputs have fixed volume as you stated. You might try "monitoring" the audio input using any audio recording program. The goal would be to "record" the input and at the same time "monitor" the sound so it plays through the speakers.

In Garage Band, you can create a new file, then create track using the menu command: Track/New Track, then choose type "real instrument." Be sure that you have already set your audio input to the digital input in the System Preferences window (look in your Applications folder for this).

If you then click on the new "real instrument" track and record, you can click the "monitor" botton on the bottom right to listen. If you don't see this, use the menu command "Track/Show Track Info" to show the menu on the right side of the screen. You can adjust the volume and you can even experiment with adding effects like rever, EQ or distortion. The effects are on that "Track Info" menu on the right of the screen.

I don't think you have to actually record to use the monitor like this. If you click on the little circle that is on the "live instrument" track that you created, you can monitor the sound without recording it.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Feb 20, 2007, 09:14 PM

uh, what does this have to do with optical audio volume level being locked?

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2007, 09:36 PM

This won't make you feel better, but the problem is a software problem, not a problem of optical audio. I have a little external usb to optical device and once I have it setup as the sound output device, it works just like a regular analog connection, volume and all.

I mention this because it seems to undermine what I read (and what you seem to have read) that it's not possible because it would "lower the bitrate".

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2007, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
uh, what does this have to do with optical audio volume level being locked?
By sending the audio to an another application, you can control the volume from that application. In the example that I gave, you can control the volume from Garage Band. If this doesn't have all the features that you want, a similar approach might work with other applications.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2007, 06:41 AM

Two fundamental problems with your idea, rehoot:

1) you've got the machine's audio output looping back to the audio input. Apart from the feedback loop you've set up (once GarageBand plays the monitored input back out via the output), where are you going to hook up the DTS receiver?

2) GarageBand's track volume isn't remote-controllable via the Apple remote, which is the whole reason Ca$h is freaking out.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Feb 21, 2007, 09:37 AM

well, part of it. I want the remote to work, and I want my keyboard volume related keys to work.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Feb 22, 2007, 10:35 AM

I will pay money for someone to hack this.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2007, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
This won't make you feel better, but the problem is a software problem
Exactly.

The optical signal is merely binary data. It's not like your standard analogue signal (voltage fluctuations), and so needs to be controlled via some form of software.

Obviously something Apple have over-looked, in terms of the consumer market. But, in terms of the professional market, all output levels should be controlled via the last stage of the chain, in which, in your case, being your DTS decoder. By not providing an adequate enough signal to each stage of the chain, you floor the signal-to-noise ratio, and any amplification happening at the power stage (i.e. at the final power amplifiers built in to your DTS decoder that provide the signal to your speakers, by which point the signal has hit the converters and been converted back to analogue), or at any stage after the signal-to-noise ratio has been floored, for that matter, will essentially boost any present noise in order to attain a normal listening level. This will therefore result in a poorer resolution of audio.

Obviously, everybody is different, and each have their own preference as to what's important, and what isn't. But, most equipment is built to a professional standard, not a consumer standard. I suppose you'll just have to wait for a third-party to create a software-based work-around.

Good luck,
onlyone-jc.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Feb 22, 2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by onlyone-jc View Post
Exactly.

The optical signal is merely binary data. It's not like your standard analogue signal (voltage fluctuations), and so needs to be controlled via some form of software.

Obviously something Apple have over-looked, in terms of the consumer market. But, in terms of the professional market, all output levels should be controlled via the last stage of the chain, in which, in your case, being your DTS decoder. By not providing an adequate enough signal to each stage of the chain, you floor the signal-to-noise ratio, and any amplification happening at the power stage (i.e. at the final power amplifiers built in to your DTS decoder that provide the signal to your speakers, by which point the signal has hit the converters and been converted back to analogue), or at any stage after the signal-to-noise ratio has been floored, for that matter, will essentially boost any present noise in order to attain a normal listening level. This will therefore result in a poorer resolution of audio.

Obviously, everybody is different, and each have their own preference as to what's important, and what isn't. But, most equipment is built to a professional standard, not a consumer standard. I suppose you'll just have to wait for a third-party to create a software-based work-around.

Good luck,
onlyone-jc.
I understand this. However, I fail to see why they did this, as Windows can control the optical audio just fine. OBVIOUSLY, if one wants the best quality, they'll just turn the volume up. Hell, I'd probably have it up most of the time, but I would like my MUTE button to work, as you provided zero explanation as to why it's functionality is disabled. Quality or crap quality, mute is still freakin' mute.. Also, it'd be nice, if while listening to music, and a loud song came on, if I could hit the 'lower the volume button' on they keyboard to quiet things down. Same goes for watching a movie. Sometimes, when watching a movie, I like to turn it up a bit loud to hear the conversations clearly, and turn it down a wee bit if an action scene gets too intense. If I'm only temporarily turning it down, I really don't give a rats ass about quality, I just want the amplitude reduced immeadiatly. Once the scene has finished, I'll turn it right back up again. AGAIN, there would be no problem if the damn remote worked, but right now it sucks because in order to have surround sound, I'm forced to use two remotes (3 if you count my optical audio decoder remote).

It pisses me off, and it is NOT like this on windows. Somehow, they 'manage' to turn it up when they want quality and the best signal to noise ratio, but apparently apple thinks mac users are too retarded to do so.

Silencer
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2007, 08:32 PM

I can't see any real point for this feature at all. If you want to adjust the volume thats what your reciever / Amplifier is for.

Failing that use analogue and be happy, sounds like you don't really care for the quality gain optical provides anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules