Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Cheap Database recommendation?

Cheap Database recommendation?
Spoffo
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2007, 04:13 PM

I have a very simple (but big) file-card type database I started many years ago using an early version of Filemaker. I am still using it regularly, running Filemaker 3 in Classic mode. It is now the only thing I still use Classic for.

It's clear that the ever-present urge to upgrade will lead me to an Intel Mac before much longer, and I'll have to kiss Classic goodbye. The issue is how to migrate this database into OSX.

I've experimented, and the current version of Filemaker will import and convert this file with no problem. However, Filemaker is now a $300 product, and I don't need 95% of its capability. (Yes, I could import this file into Excel via SYLK, but formatting it into something useful would be nasty. Many records include a large block of text along with the various number fields.)

So, can anyone recommend a cheap/shareware database product that can import one of the standard formats and run a flat, file-card style database that includes text blocks, numbers and a little simple math?
Dual 1.8 G5 tower w/ Pioneer 112, 4 gb RAM, 500 & 200gb HDs
MacBook Pro 2.16 gHz Core 2 Duo, 4 gb RAM, VM Ware Fusion & Boot Camp installed with Win XP Pro (Previously used Parallels)

headbirth
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2007, 08:00 AM

Anyone know of any Open-Source apps similar to FileMaker that will run on Macs?

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2007, 08:54 AM

There probably isn't a Universal version but would Claris Works handle it? Seems it might be suitable if it did.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2007, 09:41 AM

AppleWorks or Filemaker. Filemaker if you want to be guaranteed you'll still have compatibility with future OSs.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2007, 10:26 AM

How about MySQL plus a MySQL GUI, such as CocoaMySQL (I think is what it is called)?

A little more powerful than what you'll need, but you'll be able to tap into generating SQL queries for doing searches of data, and the DB would be completely free.

jmgriff
Mar 13, 2007, 12:31 PM

Have you looked at OpenOffice? I have little experience with it, but it might be worth a look.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by jmgriff View Post
Have you looked at OpenOffice? I have little experience with it, but it might be worth a look.
That's an excellent suggestion, I forgot that OOo included a database!

Base

Spoffo  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2007, 02:04 AM

After a quick look at the database on Open Office, it looks like that should do the job nicely. Form design looks like a little more hassle than with FileMaker, but the price is right.

Thanks all.
MacBook Pro 2.16 gHz Core 2 Duo, 4 gb RAM, VM Ware Fusion & Boot Camp installed with Win XP Pro (Previously used Parallels)

Spoffo  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2007, 03:39 PM

Not so fast. Looking at the descriptions on the Open Office website, it seemed like a reasonable idea.

After installing X11 windows and downloading open office, it doesn't. What a total nightmare of un-Mac-like interface and behavior! The learning curve on doing anything, let alone designing even a simple database would be monumental, though it probably comes easier if you've spent a lot of time working in raw Unix (or Windows 1.5). I haven't. So back to the drawing board.

To repeat, I'm looking for a simple, inexpensive flat-file DB program comparable to the original FileMaker, which was "the database for the rest of us" based on the file card metaphor with simple math functions and the ability to generate simple reports. No SQL, macros or other industrial-strength capabilities.

The current generation of FileMaker would do the job just fine, but I hate to pay $300 for a product where I'm only going to use about 2% of its capability. Hasn't anyone in the shareware world done a Mac-like "baby Filemaker?"

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2007, 03:19 PM

I just tried the NeoOffice 2 beta which does include the Open Office (OOo) database module, and it looks pretty good to me. I really do think this will be your best bet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules