Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 3GB MBP C2D oddities

3GB MBP C2D oddities
mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 14, 2007, 06:39 PM

So Newegg had (temporarily) rather good pricing on a 2GB memory module (GSKILL DDR2 667 PC5300 CL-5-5-5).

Everything's working fine, but I was surprised to see that 'About this Mac' now says I have 3GB of 533MHZ memory (whereas before I had 1GB of 667MHZ memory).

Anybody seen anything similar with this? Is this just a result of running with mismatched DIMMS, or is this Apple's way of getting even with me for buying cheap generic memory? Are there any other drawbacks besides (potentially) reduced performance?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2007, 06:48 PM

My C2D was ordered from Apple with 3 GB and shows up as 3GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2007, 07:24 PM

My 17" C2D MBP has one 1 GB DIMM in it from Apple plus a 2 GB DIMM from OWC that I added. System Profile reports 667 MHz bus speed. It sounds like you got 533 MHz RAM and the bus is therefore bottlenecked to that speed; bummer.

RAM is something that can be a nightmare when it's lame, so personally I only buy best quality RAM from best quality vendors. Over the years OWC has been great, giving good telephone tech advice and even taking RAM back when I changed computers before installing the RAM I had bought. Apple MacBook Pro Memory upgrade and hard drive options for all Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz and 2.33GHz models 15" or 17" at OtherWorldComputing.com

As to drawbacks: cheap RAM sometimes can be flaky, which is hard to diagnose; and heat dissipation on some DIMMs can be better than on others.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Mar 14, 2007 at 07:33 PM. )

mfbernstein  (op)
Senior User
Mar 14, 2007, 09:29 PM

Okay, thanks for the references. From Rev-O, I gather my results are not usual.

I agree that cheap RAM can be flaky, but it doesn't necessarily have to be, and I figured $100 off the lowest price I could find (OWC - $340) was worth the risk.

Here's the odd thing though: the module is definitely labeled as PC5300 (a.k.a. DDR2 667). They also come with a heat spreader (first time I ever saw one of those). I'll try booting into Windows to see what it thinks. If it's not, then back to Newegg it goes...

spice003
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2007, 04:34 AM

i have gskill 2gb 1gig sticks im macbook pro. been using it for almost 8 months everything works fine, shows up as 667

this look cool

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2007, 12:31 AM

cheap ram, like gskills or kingmax usually run at a lower speed than their label... when buying cheap ram, I've always bought one level up....
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

proh1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2007, 03:08 AM

mfBernstein, I just recieved my single stick of 2gb g.skill ram from newegg today and i have the same problem. Let me know if you find a solution or what newegg says about it. I believe they charge a 15% restocking fee.

hkim69
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2007, 03:45 AM

I have experienced same problem after buying GSkill's 2GB module here in Europe. It was labeled as 667MHz memory but is actually only 533Mhz...

Forum Links
Forum Rules