Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Express Printer sharing, with a twist....

Airport Express Printer sharing, with a twist....
mikeskuro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2007, 08:24 PM

I have been using airport express's printer sharing for quite some time and its been working perfectly with an HP Laserjet 1200, both are connected to an APC be650r UPS. The twist is. This might not fit into networking but it has airport involved.
I want to move this setup into my car and get a 120v adapter for the cigarette lighter and put it into the back of my honda element so I can have mobile printing. I do computer consulting and want to print invoices. However with all the testing I can't seem to get it to print in the car. Unplugged it doesn't work, I have a power inverter. For the life of me I can't figure it out. Car on or off it won't print thru a full page. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas for portable printing. On that note, the 120v plug in the car turns off and I turn the APC off when the car isn't running.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 27, 2007, 08:32 PM

You need wireless networking in your Element? I'd just plug it into the USB port on your computer and be done with it.

DO make sure your inverter (that's the DC/AC converter) has enough capacity to handle the printer. It might decide not to run if it doesn't get the watts it wants.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mikeskuro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2007, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
DO make sure your inverter (that's the DC/AC converter) has enough capacity to handle the printer. It might decide not to run if it doesn't get the watts it wants.
I'm in Vermont, so in the winter it would be handy to not have to walk outside in rainy, ugly weather with my macbook to print a piece of paper. I have the APC 650 UPS in the car also, when connected to the computer it says the printer & airport will run for 1hour 50 minutes. I figure that would clean the power as well as allow the airport & printer to work. It will turn on just not make it thru printing 1-2 pages every couple hours and recharge while I drive. It just stops and reboots after 1/2 a page.

post_break
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2007, 08:55 PM

Are you running this through the cigarette lighter or off of your car battery? I would check out MP3Car.com - Powered by vBulletin

Forum Links
Forum Rules