Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > GPS Recommendation....

GPS Recommendation....
jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2007, 08:21 AM

I tried the GPS feature from my cell phone the other day (for free) and fell in love with it! Not being very good with directions and the fact that I still get lost driving now and then I think I would like to acquire a true GPS unit.

Anyone has any recommendations on brand or model?

The prices seem to vary a lot and I just need someone to point me out in the right direction. I don't need the greatest and latest, but something reliable that has some decent features. Oh, and that works with a Mac!

Thanks.

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2007, 08:58 AM

I used my friend's Garmin StreetPilot C330 ( I think) and I loved it. What I liked is that I dont have to use any computer with it. It has a touch screen where you type in your destination and such. I have a Palm Treo and I have the TomTom navigator software on that. I like the interface for that as well, and it looks the same as the images as their dedicated GPs units. For me the interface as I am trying to read it while driving was the biggest factor.
SAm

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2007, 10:42 AM

For handheld, I absolutely love my Garmin eTrex Legend CX.

eTrex Legend Cx

It also doubles as a road trip GPS, too, so I can use it as a handheld as well as a dashboard navigator.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2007, 11:09 AM

I think the other manufactures are catching up, but tomtom, is, in my opinion, the Tivo of Automotive GPS units. Just as others make DVR, once you have used Tivo, everything else looks like crap. Tomtom is the same way.
( Last edited by Paco500; Apr 9, 2007 at 08:38 PM. )

Mark Larr
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2007, 11:21 AM

I have the Garmin c330 and it works fantastic.

Just stick it to the windshield and go.
Shut up and eat your paisley.

ink
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
For handheld, I absolutely love my Garmin eTrex Legend CX.
Seconded. It's not the best car navigator, but it's good general-purpose GPS.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2007, 12:19 PM

Everyone I know uses TomTom. They all love it.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2007, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by sknapp351
I used my friend's Garmin StreetPilot C330 ( I think) and I loved it.
Originally Posted by Mark Larr
I have the Garmin c330 and it works fantastic.
I third that!

Only downside is no Mac support for map/firmware updates. Garmin just put out a beta updater for OS X and it hosed my c330. The maps still worked, but the voice prompts were gone. The "updater" completely erased the voice files and didn't replace them! Luckily certain big box stores will let you do an exchange with no receipt and few questions asked.

I bought a Garmin b/c I couldn't find a Tom Tom and needed a GPS immediately while on a trip. From what I've read, Tom Tom supports Macs right out of the box. No beta BS.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2007, 01:56 AM

Nevermind.
Linkinus is king.

jorgem4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2007, 08:42 AM

Thank you all for the response....I think I will go with the tomtom I found a good deal on them.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
May 7, 2007, 12:16 PM

I'm looking for a GPS device that can be handheld, or mount in my car. It obviously needs to be mac compatible.
I've heard the Big names like Tom Tom, Garmin, but I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation. I'd like a dedicated device, rather than a unit that connects to my phone.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 7, 2007, 12:18 PM

I thought the title sounded familiar.
http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...ecommendation/

bstone
Mac Elite
May 7, 2007, 12:19 PM

in the same boat. have you ever tried to navigate the streets of boston???
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
May 7, 2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I thought the title sounded familiar.
http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...ecommendation/
Wow, that's absurd. I did a search for GPS and the forums turned up Nothing Sorry for the repost...
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 7, 2007, 12:23 PM

Yeah, I think you have to have at least 4 characters. I searched for "GPS Garmin."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2007, 07:13 PM

I've got a TomTom 910. Full OS X software support, works pretty good.
I don't know of any other manufacturer that already supports OS X w/o a hitch. Garminn has been promising for more than a year, but nothing yet, afaik...

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2007, 07:15 PM

TomTom all the way. OS X support is great. I just got the 910 for $ 399 from Dell with some coupon. Good deal.

-t

Edit: Well now, I look like an idot [posting twice] because the mods merged two threads
( Last edited by turtle777; May 8, 2007 at 09:49 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
May 7, 2007, 10:07 PM

I like Garmin. While my eTrex doesn't "mount" in the car, it's very functional in the car. The only drawback is the small screen, but hey, it's the size of a Nokia phone, so what do you want? (Actually it's thicker, but that's not a big deal.) The OS X issue is something they're going slowly with, unfortunately. They say there is Mac software, but there isn't much. On the other hand, there are a lot of third-party (frequently free) apps that connect to a Garmin GPS and do whatever you want with it.

Oh, and I just merged the TWO new GPS recommendation request threads. That's too bizarre!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2007, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
While my eTrex doesn't "mount" in the car,
i find a little barry white a bottle of wine and a roofiecolata work wonders on getting things to "mount" in a car

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

bstone
Mac Elite
May 8, 2007, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl View Post
I third that!

Only downside is no Mac support for map/firmware updates. Garmin just put out a beta updater for OS X and it hosed my c330. The maps still worked, but the voice prompts were gone. The "updater" completely erased the voice files and didn't replace them! Luckily certain big box stores will let you do an exchange with no receipt and few questions asked.

I bought a Garmin b/c I couldn't find a Tom Tom and needed a GPS immediately while on a trip. From what I've read, Tom Tom supports Macs right out of the box. No beta BS.
Is this what you tried? I just ordered the C330 based on feedback here and elsewhere (and price) and I am hoping I have a happy experience with OS X. However, since I am running BootCamp and XP Pro SP2 I figure I won't have much of a compatibility issue.

I also ordered the external antenna as I do a LOT of cross country driving, often in back mountain roads, and don't want to get too lost. There were two ext antenna to choose from. I went with the moderately more expensive one. Bought it using my Amex card which allows returns for ANY reason within 90 days.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

ghporter
Administrator
May 8, 2007, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
i find a little barry white a bottle of wine and a roofiecolata work wonders on getting things to "mount" in a car
Barry is responsible for more unplanned pregnancies than all the condom failures in the world put together. Thanks for the laugh!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules