Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Printer setup not seeing my printer

Printer setup not seeing my printer
rach
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2007, 05:45 PM

Hi i have a problem with Mac OSX and my printer and i think that 10.4.9 probably caused it.

I tried to install my printer I downloaded some drivers for my Canon printer and they are not going into the application section they are going into the library.

When i click on Mac OSX printer setup it will not allow me to add a printer although i can click on my Canon utility panel i cannot print through there.

I downloaded the newest CUPS from here to try to resolve this problem but it did not do anything.
Download - Common UNIX Printing System
I also downloaded the printer setup repair from here but that also did not do anything-
Fixamac Software Products
I have also verified and repaired my disk but that not do anything either.

I really do need to get my printer working soon as i have some letters that i need to print of.

Does anybody know what else i could try to and get my Mac OS printer setup to see my printer?

Thanks

OreoCookie
Apr 13, 2007, 06:31 PM

Well, you have to tell us which Canon printer you own, otherwise, there is not much we can do for you … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

rach  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2007, 06:44 PM

Hi i have a Canon i80 and i am using a PPC G4 1.42 iBook.
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Well, you have to tell us which Canon printer you own, otherwise, there is not much we can do for you … 

OreoCookie
Apr 13, 2007, 08:28 PM

Print drivers are supposed to reside in the system's Library. Since this printer has Mac drivers, you don't need to install anything else.

After installing the print drivers, open the Printer Setup Utility (located in /Applications/Utilities) and click in `Add Printer'. Since you probably connect via USB, it should appear in the list right away.

rach  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2007, 02:45 AM

Thanks for your help i tried doing this but the printer set up could not see my printer but i know that the software drivers were there as i downloaded the newest one from the Canon website.
I had no problems before using this printer on 10.4.8 on another Mac that i used to own not that long ago.

I have looked on the Apple Tiger forums and searched on printer 10.4.9 and it seems that i am not alone in having this problem. Everything that was suggested in those threads i have tried but none of the advice resolved my issue.

I think that i may just have to reinstall (and print of what i need with 10.4 and then upgrade) but i was trying to avoid doing that but it seems that i may have no other option.

This is not the first time that an Apple update has resulted in mishap for me.

After installing the print drivers, open the Printer Setup Utility (located in /Applications/Utilities) and click in `Add Printer'. Since you probably connect via USB, it should appear in the list right away.
( Last edited by rach; Apr 14, 2007 at 03:34 AM. )

OreoCookie
Apr 14, 2007, 01:50 PM

I don't think you need to reinstall at all. Reinstalling if you don't know what's wrong is pretty pointless, to be honest.

You should open Apple's System Profiler and check the USB section if your printer shows up. (Does it show up?) If it doesn't, try again with another cable. Then, repair permissions with Disk Utility.

rach  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2007, 02:57 PM

OreoCookie thank you for your help. I did an archive and install this morning and rolled back to 10.4.3 and everything was fine. After i did the install I downloaded the drivers again from the Canon website and had no problem.
I think that i will just keep on using 10.4.3 for the time being.
I repaired disk permissions yesterday but that didn't fix the problem for me.

I don't think you need to reinstall at all. Reinstalling if you don't know what's wrong is pretty pointless, to be honest.

You should open Apple's System Profiler and check the USB section if your printer shows up. (Does it show up?) If it doesn't, try again with another cable. Then, repair permissions with Disk Utility.

Forum Links
Forum Rules