Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Must-have protection for MBP?

Must-have protection for MBP?
Mike the Knife
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2007, 06:00 PM

I've got a new 15" Macbook Pro on the way It will be my 4th in the powerbook family, but my first time using a Mac in the last 1.5 years thanks to my Windows-loving company. My question is... what sort of protection do I need besides the standard padded bag?

Do these still leave keyboard marks on the screen after awhile like my 12" PB did? Does the metal rub off from sweat where your wrists lay? I see all these sort of accessories but I'm not sure if they are necessary or not anymore. I also saw some new keyboard protection clear-film on the Apple Store site I was curious about.

Thanks in advance!

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2007, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mike the Knife
Do these still leave keyboard marks on the screen after awhile like my 12" PB did? Does the metal rub off from sweat where your wrists lay?
I'm pretty sure the answer to both of these is no, but I don't own an MBP, so I dunno.
Linkinus is king.

stew
Senior User
Apr 16, 2007, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mike the Knife View Post
what sort of protection do I need besides the standard padded bag?
An AppleCare Protection Plan.
Do these still leave keyboard marks on the screen after awhile like my 12" PB did?
Yes. But don't spend a dime on any add-on products for that problem. You can either put a sheet of paper between the keyboard and the screen or you do what I do, which is cleaning your screen every now and then.

Stink different.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2007, 07:13 PM

Not in normal use - I just use a sleeve, no problems.

Mike the Knife  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2007, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by stew View Post
An AppleCare Protection Plan.

Yes. But don't spend a dime on any add-on products for that problem. You can either put a sheet of paper between the keyboard and the screen or you do what I do, which is cleaning your screen every now and then.
Great advice. I have AppleCare which is good. I've always been pretty good with keeping my screens nice and clean but somehow on my 12" PB the keyboard marks still came. As for the aluminum finish wearing off on my 12" PB where my wrists were, it happened after only about 5 months of use which bummed me out. Hopefully that's fixed!

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2007, 08:38 PM

I've been heavily (i.e. 5 hours a day on average) using mine for a little over a year (it was on of the first gens) and I haven't had any finish issues. The screen will get dirty, but I just clean mine every week or so.

Definitely get a padded bag or sleeve if you plan on traveling w/ it though! I didn't have any significant padding in the first backpack (I'm in college) I used with it and I'm pretty sure that contributed to my first (and thus far only) major repair from by Apple. For the record I've since bought a backpack with a padded section.

And Applecare is a must! The aformentioned repair took Applecare all of 4 days - They overnighted me the box, I overnighted the MBP, they fixed it by the next morning, and then overnighted it back to me. Very impressive - esp. since the rep said it would take a few weeks.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2007, 08:48 PM

I just use the sleeve that came as part of the packaging. Combined with iKlear every now and then, it does the job nicely.

onlyone-jc.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 16, 2007, 09:38 PM

I still use the foam sheet that came between the screen and the keyboard with my MBP. It doesn't prevent all markings, but it's pretty good, and cleaning both screen and keys helps too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules