Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > picture croping tool

picture croping tool
macuser2006
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2007, 06:24 AM

anyone know of a freeware croping picture tool

that stick to the width and height u put in what i mean if i wanted to shrink an image to 128x128 i want it to stick and not change

the only tool that does this is imagewell am looking for another program rather then that 1

i try seashore and iphoto to shrink the image but the mintue i type 128x128 it get change to 128x176 which is not what i want

imagwell seem to be the only tool that stick to 128x128 anyone got any ideas or recommendations

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2007, 06:42 AM

Are you actually trying to distort your image when you resize it?

iPhoto will make your export size 128x176 because it won't let you distort the 3x2 image into a square. If you actually want to crop a square without distorting, crop the image first in iPhoto, you can use the Constrain > Square option to make it perfectly square, then export to 128x128.

If you actually want to distort the image to make it square, I expect GIMP can do distort & resize but I haven't tried it.

macuser2006  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2007, 07:03 AM

Are you actually trying to distort your image when you resize it?

wulf i have no idea

all am trying to do is take a screenshot i got that big aka i took a screenshot of a film using vlc and make in in to an avater at 128x128
jeez any of the avater sizes would do 64x64 or 96x96 hope this helps u guys out
( Last edited by macuser2006; May 3, 2007 at 07:06 AM. Reason: bad spelling)

red rocket
Mac Elite
May 3, 2007, 08:35 AM

Crop the image and scale the result. That's two steps. If you try to scale something that isn't square, it will always get distorted.

GraphicConverter is good for cropping and scaling (and distorting, even). I use it for all my avatar needs, in fact I've made thousands of avatars (and sigs) with it.

That aside, if you want a really easy way to make square selections, you can set up ‘MouseKeys’ in System Preferences > Universal Access, that'll let you use your keyboard's numerical keypad instead of the mouse, so you can start a screen capture with Shift-command-4, find a start point, then hold down the 5 key on the numerical keypad, press either 7, 9, 3, or 1 until you have selected what you want, then release the 5 key. These captures will always be perfectly 1:1 square.

cgc
Professional Poster
May 3, 2007, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by macuser2006 View Post
anyone know of a freeware croping picture tool

that stick to the width and height u put in what i mean if i wanted to shrink an image to 128x128 i want it to stick and not change

the only tool that does this is imagewell am looking for another program rather then that 1

i try seashore and iphoto to shrink the image but the mintue i type 128x128 it get change to 128x176 which is not what i want

imagwell seem to be the only tool that stick to 128x128 anyone got any ideas or recommendations
You prolly need to disable the "maintain proportions" option that avoids distorting your image. If all you want to do is crop you're safe bu it sounds like you want to resize in which case you'll get gnarly distortion. I'd recommend cropping to the 1:1 ratio you want then resizing to 128x128. For example, you could have an image that's 1280x1024, crop it to 1024x1024 (or whatever portion you'd like to keep) then resize to 128x128.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2007, 09:07 AM

red rocket's covered it I think

You can crop & scale in iPhoto, and I second the recommendation for Graphic Converter, which is excellent for all sorts of graphic manipulations if you don't have Photoshop. (I only didn't mention it before because it's shareware and so not strictly "free".)

Also, @red rocket: nice tip about screen caps with the numeric pad, thanks.

macuser2006  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2007, 09:35 AM

i figure out how to do it with seashore so am all set none the less i try everyone suggestions

and i give iphoto another swirl and graphic converter is new to me but that probley cause i stated a freeware and seashore is freeware thanx for the suggestion though

problem is solved

thanx guys

Forum Links
Forum Rules