Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Zalman cooler-ATI 9800XT-QS DP 1.0Ghz

Zalman cooler-ATI 9800XT-QS DP 1.0Ghz
kermit4161
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2007, 04:18 PM

Help!

I've got an ATI 9800XT graphics card installed in my QS DP 1.0ghz Mac (it is modded to run 4x AGP with two pieces of tape over pins 3/11). I just installed a Zalman VF900cu VGA cooler on the card... almost.

I didn't have any problems until it came time to install the power cables. This cooler has a fan controller that pig tails into it, allowing you to adjust the speed of the fan. The problem is the connection doesn't allow the power cord to plug into the power connector on the VGA card. It must be plugged into the fan header power connection on the motherboard....

Is this making sense? The problem is of course that there is only ONE fan power connection on a QS DP 1.0 motherboard... for the CPU fan. Unlike PCs, Apple didn't put any additional fan power connections on the board (that I could find).

Can I splice the CPU fan and the VGA fan wires together? I'm hesitant to do that as neither fan would probably get enough power. I don't want to run the CPU without its fan either...

Does anyone have a suggestion? There has to be a way to make this work...

Thanks,

Alan

galarneau
Senior User
May 20, 2007, 05:17 PM

You can splice the fan connector from the motherboard, or get/make a connector that converts a 4pin hard drive connector into a fan connector.

kermit4161  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2007, 10:01 PM

Well, the splicing didn't work for some reason. So I'll try to get new connectors in tomorrow. The CPU fan isn't running, but I put in one of those double-slot exhaust fans for the moment. Coupled with the Zalman, it is moving a lot of air through the box... so hopefully the CPU will be okay.

kermit4161  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2007, 08:11 AM

Is it safe to run the QS without the CPU fan while I'm searching for the adapter to get the 3 pin fan coverted to a 4 pin molex connector (I'm in a small town and it might take some searching? The fan's connector/wiring got destroyed in my failed attempt to splice it... so I pulled it out of the loop for the time being.

I believe that the QS DP 1.0 came in two versions... one without a fan. The fan doesn't really pull that much air to begin with... and the auxillary fan I put in seems to be moving air. I just don't know if it is enough.

Thanks

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2007, 12:17 PM

Run the processor without a fan? I'd think not.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

kermit4161  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Run the processor without a fan? I'd think not.
Okay... point taken. But I do have another fan running. The auxillary fan I installed is a lot bigger than the stock one... and moves a lot more air. It just isn't located in the same place (between the heatsink and the vent holes). I'd say that there is more air moving through the whole box than was with just the CPU fan.

I wish there was an aftermarket company making CPU fans for the Mac system. I'd really like to get a better one for the CPU. I'll be re-wiring it today (and just running off of my PC for a while).

Forum Links
Forum Rules