Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > moving icons in finder window??!!

moving icons in finder window??!!
jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2007, 07:28 AM

I raised this a while ago and didn't get any help or wasn't believed because I couldn't show any video evidence.

http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...finder-window/

It only happens in one account which I stopped using but now want to use again ( will delete it if this issue can't be solved - but also thought it so strange I wanted to share it):

Icons - ONLY in icon view - move randomly in the finder window making it almost impossible to select the one you want, because by the time you've clicked it has moved! This account is an admin account but I demoted it to a standard account an dit made no difference to the problem.

I have managed to capture a screen grap with the demo of iShowU, it's a 35 mb file which you can download from here:

http://digitalvault.bt.com/media/gue...+Bassi&lang=en

I am struggling to host it somewhere to be view at the moment due to time and youtube and another hosting service timing out on me. Will work that out later somehow.

dru
Senior User
May 23, 2007, 09:46 AM

You're not crazy. I see it on the G4 iMac here on 10.4.9. It makes me crazy and one more reason to storm 1 Infinite Loop chanting, "FTFF" (Fix the Freaking Finder)!

The Finder does not really live update, there's a delay. I don't think there's a user means of fixing this. The other option is not to use any kind of sorted preference in your folders. Considering this very fundamental stuff worked fine almost two dozen years ago, it's intolerable that Apple hasn't bothered to get it right in the 21st century. This isn't hard stuff!

I also noticed a bug I thought they'd fixed where you'd select "too many" (some arbitrary number) items and drag in the Finder only to see... NOTHING moving and yet when you let go of the mouse button your operation takes place.

edit: your link to the video isn't working
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

jbleisure  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2007, 09:57 AM

http://digitalvault.bt.com/invite/lo...4&r=mg&lang=en

Try that if you want to see this. Well I'm thankful it doesn't work on any of my other accounts. But is very annoying is there a way to fix it?

JKT
Professional Poster
May 24, 2007, 08:25 AM

I can't view your recording either, even with the new link (what codec did you record it in? The video loads but Quicktime can't play it back).

Edit: Even after downloading it and trying VLC and MPlayer, I can't view the video. The codec for the video is icod, whatever that is?

FWIW, without being able to see what is actually happening, from the description you have given I wonder if this issue is related to the one is this thread at all?

http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...file-harddisk/

dru
Senior User
May 24, 2007, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
FWIW, without being able to see what is actually happening, from the description you have given I wonder if this issue is related to the one is this thread at all?
Not related.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

Forum Links
Forum Rules