Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > macbook new or refurb?

macbook new or refurb?
macfantn
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2007, 10:02 PM

my last ibook was refurb hardrive died twice, once under warranty once not. Should I take a chance again or just buy new? thoughts opinions?
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

macwayne
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2007, 10:39 PM

I've bought a few refurbished macs and they were all in pristine "as new" condition.
Anyone can get a lemon, but Apple's track record is very good and you save a ton of money.
Go for it!

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2007, 10:58 PM

i will prolly get a refurb looks all the macbooks are out right now i want the 799 or 849 model
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2007, 11:45 PM

I just bought a refurbed blackbook, and I'm having zero problems with it. I'd easily reccomend it.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 12:04 AM

did you get applecare w/ yours?

Rumor Addict
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2007, 12:49 AM

I considered a refurb but when you order from apple you have to pay tax. Instead I bought a new macbook but of the former generation for about 50 bucks more than I would have paid for a refurb with tax.
MacBook 2.0 / Powerbook 1ghz 12inch 768mb / Original 5 gig iPod / 512mb iPod Shuffle

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 01:21 AM

where did you buy, amazon?

roller
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2007, 01:55 AM

Ironically, I just wrote about that on my iSwitched lens (see sig). I highly recommend the refurbished models. It is something many people overlook or simply do not know about. You can get current and older models often at steep discounts, all with normal warranty and always in mint condition. Here is a link to the refurb site:

Apple Refurbs
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

Rumor Addict
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
where did you buy, amazon?
No they were out. Expercom.
MacBook 2.0 / Powerbook 1ghz 12inch 768mb / Original 5 gig iPod / 512mb iPod Shuffle

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 10:49 AM

they have good prices at expercom

ExperCom - MacBook White 13.3" 1.83GHz 1GB/60GB/Combo/iSight

looks like a good deal, why is so $100 no one else seems to sell them at a discount also the applecare there is only 189.99 cheapest i've seen.

Rumor Addict
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2007, 11:10 AM

Yes I bought applecare also. Just bought my macbook last week from them. 3rd time I have ordered from them and never had any problems. I got the last black one which had more of a discount actually.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 12:31 PM

You get a 2.0 at amazon.com for only $50 plus the HD is bigger, and it's a better burner. Of course, you do have to wait for the rebate, but it's a better deal. Also, applecare is $50 less.

Rumor Addict
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Also, applecare is $50 less.
Applecare is 130$ at amazon?

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
You get a 2.0 at amazon.com for only $50 plus the HD is bigger, and it's a better burner. Of course, you do have to wait for the rebate, but it's a better deal. Also, applecare is $50 less.
if i'm just going for the combo drive, what is better about the burner?

Stockcerts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2007, 10:57 PM

I've considered a refurb as well, but somehow I want the thrill of being the first one to open the box. I know, it's not logical, but buying a Mac is also an emotional purchase!

Kevin Dunahee
Jun 27, 2007, 09:22 AM

I ordered a refurbished Macbook for my mom. I ordered one with 512 MB RAM and 60 GB HD. It came with 2GB RAM and 100 GB hard drive for seem reason. Apple must have been feeling generous around the holidays.

It works great though. No problems yet. Can't tell I didn't buy it new.

Forum Links
Forum Rules