Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > When Macbook opens, Linksys disconnects. Help!

When Macbook opens, Linksys disconnects. Help!
Scott F
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2007, 11:36 AM

Ok. My brother got a Macbook last summer, and it was working fine, until I hooked it up to my Linksys (Model WRT54G) and everytime he connects to it, after about 5 minutes it cuts out. I disconnect and reconnect it, works for 5 minutes then disconnects. It's not just the Mac that loses the connection but everything (3 other PC's, Dell and HP and XBOX Live too).

If the Mac isn't connected to the wireless, it never disconnects. Can you help me?

PS this happened with 2 different Routers.
( Last edited by Scott F; Jul 2, 2007 at 11:42 AM. )

Kadarin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2007, 06:50 PM

What you describe is a symptom that you might get if there were an ip address conflict on the network. It "works" until an ARP entry ages out somewhere. Check the ip address on the router and compare to the MacBook; if they're the same, change one to a different ip on the same network that isn't currently being used.

Of course, the problem could be something else entirely. Good luck!

PEPPERRULES
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2007, 12:15 AM

Try updating the firmware on your linksys router first. Also are you using any kind of security like WEP or restricting access to certain MAC addresses?

auxlepli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2007, 10:18 AM

Something similar happened to me with two Linksys routers, both the same model.
Though I'm using a PowerBook G4 and never had a wireless connection problem with it. Therefore I assumed it was the router. I updated the router firmware on the second one, and called Linksys twice. We tried multiple things to get the network to work. Finally Linksys said try a different model.
So I did - different model and manufacturer.
My Airport Express works like a charm.

Scott F  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2007, 01:25 AM

The problem was that there was only one mac and 3 pc's and then when my brothers MBP and mine arrived, everything fixed itself, but whenever I switch over to my dell, it crashes (or if my brother goes to his).

Thanks!

auxlepli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2007, 01:54 PM

So you got the Linksys to work?
Something else I forgot was that I had PC connected via network cable and the router, after five minutes, would kick the wired PC and wireless Mac off.
So I used an old wired Linksys router to connect the PC and run the Airport Express from that too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules