Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Hard drive and scrolling sounds with headphones?

Hard drive and scrolling sounds with headphones?
ibook_steve
Jul 24, 2007, 07:12 PM

I have a 2.33 MBP. When in Boot Camp 1.3 and headphones plugged in, I hear sounds coming out of the internal speakers when the hard drive is accessed or I scroll a window. These are the high-pitched screeching noises you hear when other electrical signals are bleeding into the audio system. This is *not* the problem that was present last year where sound would come out of the internal speakers even though the headphones were plugged in. If it's a bug with boot camp and others have it as well, that's fine. I'll report it to Apple. This is a beta, after all. But if I'm alone, I'm wondering why. I've tried playing around with the Sigmatel audio controls to no avail. I do not have this problem when running Mac OS X (of course). Does anybody see (hear) this when using headphones or external speakers?

Steve

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 24, 2007, 08:21 PM

How high-end are your headphones? If the cables aren't shielded (and most inexpensive ones (< $40 or so) headphone cables aren't), then they can easily pick up electromagnetic signals that the earpieces convert into sound. Do you hear this on ALL headphones? On external speakers?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ibook_steve  (op)
Jul 24, 2007, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
How high-end are your headphones? If the cables aren't shielded (and most inexpensive ones (< $40 or so) headphone cables aren't), then they can easily pick up electromagnetic signals that the earpieces convert into sound. Do you hear this on ALL headphones? On external speakers?
I don't think you got what I was saying. The normal sound in the headphones is fine. What I'm saying is that with the headphones (or any speakers) plugged in, the internal speakers should be completely muted. This does work. I don't hear music or system sounds coming out of the internal speakers. However, I do hear sounds of hard drive and window scrolling activity coming out of the internal speakers (not the headphones).

Steve

raduga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2007, 08:45 PM

FWIW, this has been the case with my G4 Powerbook since the day I bought it. It also transmits Airport traffic into my audio-out jack. The headphones/speakers plugged into it are not important, the interference is internal.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 1, 2007, 10:13 PM

You're right-I didn't get that part of it. And now I'm pretty well stumped. Unless the wires going to the speakers from the jack (or wherever they actually come from-I don't know where the headphone jack switches the sound away from the speakers) are supposed to be shielded and somehow aren't, I can't figure out what could cause this.

ibook_steve  (op)
Aug 2, 2007, 01:41 PM

The thing is, it's only in Boot Camp. I did try turning off the power management features located in the Sigmatel Audio control panel. That helped a little, but not completely. I can live with it since it's really subtle and I'm rarely in Boot Camp long enough to notice, but I hope it's something that gets fixed in the next BC beta or final in Leopard.

Steve

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 2, 2007, 03:59 PM

I wonder if this has something to do with the "fix" that changed drivers for the audio system in BC 1.2-one thing it did was correct the "plugging into the headphone jack doesn't mute the speakers" problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules