Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Wow apple... you amaze me.

Wow apple... you amaze me.
macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2007, 10:10 PM

It sure takes genius to write a program code in such a way that a bug like the one i'm experiencing with Calculator, can occur.

Check this out.

When Calculator is open, if the mouse is not over the application, pressing a key on the number pad will make another application come to the front, and push Calculator to the back, without inputing the number.

If the mouse IS over the calculator, then the "5" key on the keypad, inputs numbers into the calculator, according to where the mouse is located. For example, if the mouse is over the number 8, and I press 5, then it'll input an 8. If the mouse is over the 2, and I press 5, it'll input the 2.

The numbers at the top of the keyboard work, as does pressing the numbers with the mouse.

I'm verified and repaired permissions on all my hard drives, as well as verified and repaired the drive itself. I've deleted the calculator preferences file in users/home/library/preferences, and i've trashed my copy of calculator, and replaced it with another one from an Intel iMac also running 10.4.10.

I've also tried using different keyboards, to no avail.

I'm actually getting a kick out of this. It's the strangest problem i've ever come across. But I would also like it fixed.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2007, 10:25 PM

That seems kind of weird.
I tried to duplicate what you wrote to no avail.
mouse over the 8 key, hitting the 5 key on the keyboard with the focus on the calculator application. It produces the 5 key. mousing over to safari or another app and hitting the number pad does nothing other then send the keys to that application and doesn't move the calculator app to the back

Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2007, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
That seems kind of weird.
I tried to duplicate what you wrote to no avail.
mouse over the 8 key, hitting the 5 key on the keyboard with the focus on the calculator application. It produces the 5 key. mousing over to safari or another app and hitting the number pad does nothing other then send the keys to that application and doesn't move the calculator app to the back

Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
No. You're not doing anything wrong. Your computer just doesn't have the bug. I'm asking for help. How do I fix this? I just opened up calculator, it was the front window, I hit the 5 key, and it moved to the back without inputing the number. Very very strange.....

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2007, 10:38 PM

It's not a bug. You have Mouse Keys turned on. It's in Universal Access in System Preferences under the Mouse & Trackpad tab.

Next time don't be so quick to lay blame on someone else.
Vandelay Industries

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2007, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
It's not a bug. You have Mouse Keys turned on. It's in Universal Access in System Preferences under the Mouse & Trackpad tab.

Next time don't be so quick to lay blame on someone else.
Oh crap... Now I remember turning it on for some speech recognition program or something....

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules