Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ilife '08 is the worst piece of crap

ilife '08 is the worst piece of crap
squeeks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 10:15 PM

ive ever spent money on...

iDVD dosent work, my friend and i have tried it on three completly diffrent machines now, i photo is having issues uploading files to .mac, heck there was an update for it today, just for the reason, but it still dosent fix it.

imovie dosent have a dvd export option, or timeline, i cant believe apple would release this piece of crap
SR MBP 2.4ghz - 4gig Ram - 250gb HD

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 8, 2007, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by squeeks View Post

iDVD dosent work, my friend and i have tried it on three completly diffrent machines now, i photo is having issues uploading files to .mac, heck there was an update for it today, just for the reason, but it still dosent fix it.

imovie dosent have a dvd export option, or timeline, i cant believe apple would release this piece of crap
Calm down, blah blah blah.

Was the name calling really necessary? -TI

Of course it was, TI. It was an integral part of the rhyme. And you RUINED IT! Bastage. It's ok though, I know a lot of people with no sense of humor.
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Aug 9, 2007 at 08:51 AM. )

squeeks  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 10:44 PM

excuse me?

JellyBeen
Senior User
Aug 8, 2007, 10:55 PM

excuse me?
Talking like this around here will get you nowhere fast.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2007, 01:07 AM

Maybe they spent as much time making the suite, as you did proof reading your post...

No, probably not...
My Blog-pakos.me

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2007, 05:45 AM

iWork isn't much better. Keynote opens for me, but after selecting a theme it won't allow me to do anything more.

Core Duo 2 Ghz iMac.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2007, 06:13 AM

Blaming the software or the software operator?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

jtrwallace
Aug 9, 2007, 06:14 AM

ok, i'll admit after first installing ilife '08 i had some glitches. i had to install the update, restart, then reinstall certain packages. however, now iweb, iphoto, and grageband work as advertised. i have no use for the others so i can't talk about them but iphoto and iweb are worth it. events are way cool and .mac web gallery is amazing
2.4 GHz MacBook Pro | 256 MB VRAM | 3.0 GB RAM | 160 GB 5400 RPM HDD
Airport Extreme Base Station (n) | Airport Express Base Station (g)
Bluetooth Mighty Mouse | (And an iPhone SOON *crosses fingers) GOT THE IPHONE!
iPod Nano Product (RED)

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2007, 08:26 AM

Proud of you.®

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2007, 08:50 AM

iMovie HD 6 is now available as a free download to everybody who has iLife 08.

Apple - Support - Downloads - iMovie HD 6

PaperNotes
Aug 9, 2007, 09:02 AM

iWork works fine for me. Gorgeous templates in Numbers. I want to learn how they do that from scratch.

dawho9
Senior User
Aug 9, 2007, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
iMovie HD 6 is now available as a free download to everybody who has iLife 08.

Apple - Support - Downloads - iMovie HD 6
So I already have iLife 08 installed. Someone here without iLife 08 going to try to install this and see if it works?

dw9
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2007, 10:17 AM

Why shouldn't it? Apple is offering it explicitly for you guys.

This isn't Windows, where weird .dll dependencies will kill programs.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2007, 12:38 PM

You can't install it (e.g. the new free iMovie HD 6 download from Apple) unless you have iLife '08 installed.
Vandelay Industries

jpa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 01:25 PM

I'd say not crap!

Definitely not!

I admit that iMovie08 really seems like a great new little tool for video beginners like me but I cant use it because I own a G4!!!

Besides that Keynote is a real minor upgrade... nice but minor
iPhoto is one notch higher with usefull events to organise pictures and some better adjusting capabilities.
Great are the 30G bite storage I got on .mac!!!

Numbers?!!! looks nice but it will take time, lots of time to turn around the excel users!

Overall I'd say it's a leap forward but we are close to not making the 150euros worth of software.... lets be crazy I think it is not really worth these 150euros...

Real real close call...
jp

squeeks  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 01:36 PM

a simple public beta would have most likly solved these issues, but no, apple is too arogent to let the public have any knowlage of anything they are releaseing

heck iphoto 08 had an update not 24 hours after it was released because publishing to .mac wouldnt work

there is a work around to get iDvd to work it involves deleting a bunch of old templates or something like that i just havent been near my mac to try it

this isnt a user error, three or four other people on mac rumors have experienced the same exact issues i have with idvd not opening

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2007, 01:49 PM

imovie dosent have a dvd export option, or timeline
Are you serious?!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

squeeks  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Are you serious?!
got a screen shot to back that statement up?

i have to export it as a large movie, then drop it into compressor to get dvd studio pro to see it

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2007, 02:05 PM

I don't have iMovie 08. All I meant to say is that I can't believe that Apple would leave that feature out. It's kind of the purpose of the whole app!

edit: I looked over on Apple's discussion boards, and it seems that iMovie '08 is missing the "Extract Audio" feature too. WTF?
( Last edited by CharlesS; Aug 9, 2007 at 02:15 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2007, 02:15 PM

It's kind of the purpose of the whole app!
No, it's not. Steve said that people don't use DVDs any more nowadays. They put their movies on their .Mac webgallery or YouTube. Both is supported by iMovie 08.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2007, 02:30 PM

Only at massively reduced quality. You're not going to put up a bunch of 4.7 GB movies on .Mac or YouTube.

And what is Steve smoking, anyway? People don't use DVD anymore? In the labs at university, people are always coming in there wanting to burn something or other to DVD. When people take home videos, they usually want to archive them to something they can actually watch on their TV.

Hell, if no one burns DVDs anymore, then why do practically all computers come with DVD-RW drives? If people didn't care about DVD, you'd think they'd all be cutting that feature off to save the expense.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Why would it be the software operator's fault?

You guys are pathetically apologetic on behalf of Apple. They are just an f-ing company, not a religion.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2007, 02:53 PM

Well to be fair, Steve said the iDVD is for the people who "still want to use DVDs"... I agree that he is trying to phase them out a few years to early, but either way the option's still there.

I don't have iLife '08, but can iMovie not export into iDVD for simple burning? If so, I don't see a major problem with not having a dvd button right in iMovie...you make your movies in iMovie, and can export them however you like on the web...but if you want to make a DVD, open up iDVD and you get a better DVD than you would from iMovie.

Unless you can't burn iMovie movies in iDVD, which in that case is ridiculous.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2007, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
iWork works fine for me. Gorgeous templates in Numbers. I want to learn how they do that from scratch.
I thought Numbers was a spreadsheet app? What difference would it make if things were gorgeous? (I'm assuming you are referring to appearances).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
No, it's not. Steve said that people don't use DVDs any more nowadays. They put their movies on their .Mac webgallery or YouTube. Both is supported by iMovie 08.
Taking features away that people have been using is always a bad idea, period.

squeeks  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post

I don't have iLife '08, but can iMovie not export into iDVD for simple burning? If so, I don't see a major problem with not having a dvd button right in iMovie...you make your movies in iMovie, and can export them however you like on the web...but if you want to make a DVD, open up iDVD and you get a better DVD than you would from iMovie.

Unless you can't burn iMovie movies in iDVD, which in that case is ridiculous.

ive yet to figured out how to get a movie out of imovie 08 into a format useable in dvd studio pro other than running it though compressor

now maybe idvd will open your projects right from imovie, but i cant check this becuase...IDVD WOULNT FREAKING OPEN

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Well to be fair, Steve said the iDVD is for the people who "still want to use DVDs"... I agree that he is trying to phase them out a few years to early, but either way the option's still there.
Why phase them out at all? YouTube is not a valid replacement for DVD. It is not anywhere near the quality.

The list of missing features in iMovie 08 is amazing... I frankly don't see the advantage over Windows Movie Maker any more.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I thought Numbers was a spreadsheet app? What difference would it make if things were gorgeous? (I'm assuming you are referring to appearances).
The same difference people are always on about, that you're not getting, between the Linux you see as a network admin and the OS X we use.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2007, 03:09 PM

Taking features away that people have been using is always a bad idea, period.
This, btw, is *precisely* why Apple is so slow and so obviously reluctant to add features to their products.

Once it's there, enough people will use it to start yelling if it's removed because it was a Bad Idea™ or no longer makes sense as a standard feature.

Edit: Not saying that the new iMovie is, at this point, an adequate replacement for the old iMovie HD.
( Last edited by analogika; Aug 9, 2007 at 03:16 PM. )

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2007, 03:13 PM

Sometimes you are selling something with those numbers. Then it helps if they look good, not only mathematically but also aesthetically. And in any case, looking good doesn't harm per se, does it?

Anyway, Numbers is not part of iLife, so this is off topic.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2007, 03:44 PM

Thus far I'm not too happy with iPhoto 08. Maybe over time I"ll feel better about it, but right now what I'd love to happen is for iPhoto to give me the option to take my existing folders and convert those into Events rather than it picking events based on dates. I've used iPhoto as a repository for all images, including clipart, wallpapers, comics, etc. Now everything is butchered in Events view, and the thought of sitting down and fixing 10,000 images sorted incorrectly does not appeal to me.

Oh well, we'll see how I feel after a few days with iPhoto, first impression though... the only feature I love is "hide"
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2007, 03:51 PM

The same difference people are always on about, that you're not getting, between the Linux you see as a network admin and the OS X we use.
I use the same OS X you use, but I guess I'm a little more pragmatic than some?

Spreadsheet manipulation is about as dry and mundane a task as imaginable. While some sexiness might make the work a little more tolerable, I just don't see the point in looking for sex in a spreadsheet app... A spreadsheet app is more utilitarian than anything else, to me. Sexing it up is sort of like sexing up your local BMV.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Sometimes you are selling something with those numbers. Then it helps if they look good, not only mathematically but also aesthetically. And in any case, looking good doesn't harm per se, does it?

Anyway, Numbers is not part of iLife, so this is off topic.

Good point! I never thought about selling people using spreadsheets within the app itself, but using data extrapolated from a spreadsheet app into a more traditional presentation medium.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2007, 03:56 PM

While apple is pronouncing this as the greatest update to ilife, it seems that many of us are disappointed.
I was hoping to see more of an update to iweb and imovie is a step back it seems.

On a positive note, I'm liking the fact that iwork has a spreadsheet. I'll be picking that up shortly, though I have little reason to upgrade ilife.

squeeks  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 04:36 PM

another problme is they removed the save project feature, so you cant save your projects they are saved whenever you do something, inside the program, there is no open choice either, all of your projects show up in a menu in the top left

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2007, 04:43 PM

Good point! I never thought about selling people using spreadsheets within the app itself, but using data extrapolated from a spreadsheet app into a more traditional presentation medium.
And sometimes, you actually want the stuff you're doing to look good, because you're not number-crunching your business, but, say, creating a patchbay layout, with tie-line connections and device connections, or somesuch. And because you're not a ****ing numbers geek but actually deal with this stuff only as much as you absolutely have to, you'd prefer that it actually look like something a normal person might want to deal with, and that will actually look the same way in print form.

God knows getting Excel to look good when printed is a nightmare. It's bad enough to try and actually layout material in Word.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2007, 06:14 PM

This, btw, is *precisely* why Apple is so slow and so obviously reluctant to add features to their products.

Once it's there, enough people will use it to start yelling if it's removed because it was a Bad Idea™ or no longer makes sense as a standard feature.
Tell that to Clippy.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2007, 06:43 PM

Yep.

Microsoft's solution is invariably to bung EVEN MORE features on to "help" you manage the feature overkill.

Apple's attitude is that if you're confused by something, THE DEVELOPER ****ED UP.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2007, 08:01 PM

Yep.

Microsoft's solution is invariably to bung EVEN MORE features on to "help" you manage the feature overkill.

Apple's attitude is that if you're confused by something, THE DEVELOPER ****ED UP.
Not the developer, the usability designers (which are hopefully different groups of people). I agree with this, but why are many in here quick to blame the user?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2007, 08:24 PM

Not the developer, the usability designers (which are hopefully different groups of people). I agree with this, but why are many in here quick to blame the user?
The developer in the sense I used the term is the company that makes the product. I don't care how many people that means if the product is clear, as simple as possible, straightforward, and conforms to the conventions the rest of the system follows.

Are people so quick to blame the user? I'm not seeing that at all, actually.
"User error" is a Windows mantra. Got that ALL THE TIME at my last job, which was Windows-based.

This guy got flamed for an inflammatory thread title and noisy rant. Somebody criticised him for not proofreading his post. Skimming over the thread, I see no-one blaming him for iLife 08's shortcomings.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2007, 09:38 PM

This guy got flamed for an inflammatory thread title and noisy rant. Somebody criticised him for not proofreading his post. Skimming over the thread, I see no-one blaming him for iLife 08's shortcomings.

I guess I was thrown by this, but perhaps I did overreact or read too much into it:

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2007, 09:52 PM

I have no idea which post Randman was responding to, or what he meant.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2007, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by jpa View Post

Overall I'd say it's a leap forward but we are close to not making the 150euros worth of software.... lets be crazy I think it is not really worth these 150euros...
iLife '08 is 79 Euros. Where did you get the 150 Euros from?

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2007, 10:35 PM

I can't export pictures in iPhoto '08 and sites created in iWeb STILL look like sh!t on the iPhone... Even after converting my entire site over to one of their sweet new themes. I guess I'm pretty disappointed after playing with those two programs literally all day. I don't use iMovie or GarageBand.

Positives: Theme-switching in iWeb and iPhoto's Web Gallery.
Negatives: Some bugs. Sites look like crap on Steve's golden phone*.

*So much for the "real" Internet.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2007, 10:55 PM

I've got to agree with the frustating experience on iLife '08.

My mom does DVD slideshows for friends- you know, the ken burns type, set to music, with some nice transitions and text overlays. She typically does them for weddings/parties/etc for friends.

Well, she decided to upgrade to iLife '08 for the new iMovie (which she thought would be an upgrade). Well, all I have to say is thank God for the ability to still use iMovie HD, as she lost much of the functionality she uses. The new iMovie has a very limited number and flexibility on titling compared to iMovie HD, and fewer transitions. On top of that, third party transition/plugin makers have been locked out.

On the other hand, the method used to perform the ken burns effect is much nicer than iMovie HD, but not at the expense of so much other functionality.

Either it was a big screw up on Apple's part, or they are trying to convince those who do more than just slap some video clips together, to upgrade to FCE.

ramcosca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 12:08 AM

And what is Steve smoking, anyway? People don't use DVD anymore? In the labs at university, people are always coming in there wanting to burn something or other to DVD. When people take home videos, they usually want to archive them to something they can actually watch on their TV.

Hell, if no one burns DVDs anymore, then why do practically all computers come with DVD-RW drives? If people didn't care about DVD, you'd think they'd all be cutting that feature off to save the expense.
Just wait for it... you'll see!

Macworld '08: "One More Thing™! Mac Pros... doing great! Shipped millions last year. Great year, last year. Boom™! Now, all Mac Pros come with integrated Blu-Ray!"

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2007, 12:21 AM

I wonder if Steve Jobs says "boom" while he is banging his wife?

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2007, 12:59 AM

I am running iPhoto, iWeb and iDVD on a 1GHz G4 iMac really well. the only problem I have noticed is one of the new themes in iDVD. The wedding one seems to skip in the middle of it, but only in 4:3 mode, not 16:9.
Kinda weird, anyone else see this?
Can someone try and tell me if mine is just screwed up?
Thanks

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

jpa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 05:09 AM

I got 150euros because I bought both iLife and iWorks... you'd have to get both if you are using these applications....
jp

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 10, 2007, 06:23 AM

a simple public beta would have most likly solved these issues, but no, apple is too arogent to let the public have any knowlage of anything they are releaseing
I think it has more to with people stealing Apple's ideas and claiming them their own than that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules