Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > VMware/Parallels Cursor "Invisibility"

VMware/Parallels Cursor "Invisibility"
macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2007, 10:19 PM

Hey all :-) I've got a small dilemma regarding cursors in virtual machines (both VMware and Parallels) that I hope to find a solution to.

I do most of my development work at my day job on a Windows machine, and I decided to set up a virtual machine on my MBP similar to my work machine. I program web apps, and use a black background for my code. On a real Windows machine, the "I" bar cursor inverts to white when hovering over a black background. In VMware and Parallels, the cursor stays black, making for black-on-black and an "invisible" cursor. Is there any way to get the guest OS to respect what the OS is telling the system to do?

I saw no change after installing VMware and Parallels Windows tools, either. This one's got me stumped! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
( Last edited by macgyvr64; Aug 11, 2007 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Typo)

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2007, 09:17 AM

The mouse control panel lets you change your pointers also stardock.com offers programs to alter the look and feel of windows. I believe they have an app that allows you to customize icons and pointers.

Finally, I think its a lot easier to change your background to a different color so this isn't a problem.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2007, 11:39 AM

That's interesting. I can confirm the behavior, but I assumed it was normal for Windows. After all, even in Parallels, it's Windows drawing the cursor, not Mac OS.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 12, 2007, 11:59 AM

But it's not necessarily using a Windows driver to do the drawing. I haven't seen this actual behavior, but Parallels uses its own drivers for a lot of stuff, and the cursor is part of the video system. Is Parallels actually using the native display driver or its own? (I haven't played with Parallels in quite a while-too busy-so I don't recall which way it goes.)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
But it's not necessarily using a Windows driver to do the drawing. I haven't seen this actual behavior, but Parallels uses its own drivers for a lot of stuff, and the cursor is part of the video system. Is Parallels actually using the native display driver or its own? (I haven't played with Parallels in quite a while-too busy-so I don't recall which way it goes.)
I haven't checked Parallels, but VMware sure is using its own mouse driver (so says Windows Device Manager). I assume its using the VMware device to better pass data to the VM (the cursor retains the Mac's distinctive mouse acceleration while in the VM, instead of Windows' native). I wonder if there's a way around this...

Update
Changing the cursor style to "Windows Black (system scheme)" puts a white line around the I-bar cursor and makes the regular pointer much like the Mac cursor. That'll work! I just needed to be able to see it over black.

Forum Links
Forum Rules