Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > help me build a dream 1G/75G cube!!

help me build a dream 1G/75G cube!!
ggirton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2001, 02:34 PM

or you can tell me why its a bad idea (i worry so much) ...

nothing spiffs up a computer's performance like extra RAM, i was just wondering if 1G would over-work the cube's convection cooling. i think 1.5G of RAM would be overkill for anything i can imagine. oh, yeah, right, and 1G is not???

since i've noticed IBM drives run really cool, i'd think of popping a 75G drive into a reconditioned cube.

And then not worry about upgrades for oh, at least five years.

Do you know anyone who did this yet?

Please comment!!!

a penny here a penny there, pretty soon you're talking two cents

ekoelbel
Feb 5, 2001, 03:12 PM

Well, the gig of RAM is easy enough, especially with memory so cheap right now.

why not a huge firewire drive, though, instead of a 75 gig drive internally?

ggirton  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2001, 02:52 AM

The possibility of adding an external firewire drive later on would certainly simplify things

But with power brick, keyboardmouse and speakers, not to mention that monitor cable, an external drive just adds one more piece of clutter.

So the 1G of memory, you don't think it would run too hot?

jbell
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2001, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by ggirton:
...i was just wondering if 1G would over-work the cube's convection cooling. i think 1.5G of RAM would be overkill for anything i can imagine.
Why would 1.5G RAM be an overkill? Apple has designed the Cube to handle that much anyway. Most of the heat is from the CPU, not RAM. You don't see heat sinks on RAMs. With more RAM, it would take less work for the CPU for memory access as opposed to having the CPU doing work on memory and HD storage swaps for virtual memory. I plan to upgrade my Cube to 1.5G in preparation for OS X release.

ggirton  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2001, 11:47 AM

Now that you bring it up I totally agree that more RAM could reduce system heat by minimizing hard drive access. I had only been thinking of the extra row(s?) of chips having electrical current run through them.

I can't stand the heat, maybe I shouldn't put this computer in the kitchen.

Anyone out there with 1.5G cubes that are overheating?

iPaul UK
Senior User
Feb 6, 2001, 12:24 PM

Hello.. ggirton.. Do you read me?? jbell is quite right.. More ram does NOT equal more heat. There, you have heard it from 2 people now.. Believe it yet? Whats more.. Why would Apple make a computer capable of holding that much ram if it was not capable of using it safely? Personally tho.. I still think that 1gig plus of ram is overkill. Whether you are a pro user or not. Having said that, ram is really cheap at the moment, and too much is never a bad thing.

wumeng
Senior User
Feb 20, 2001, 03:51 PM

I would say that given the falling prices of RAM, and the risk that prices might go up again for a while once the suppliers dump their stock, you might as well max out on RAM for your Cube. I think the best price per megabyte at the moment is for 256MB RAM modules, so you might want to settle for 768MB as opposed to 1.5GB RAM. Few would notice the difference...

Forum Links
Forum Rules