Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook 17" Display problems, LCD cable?

Powerbook 17" Display problems, LCD cable?
Jeff1954
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2007, 02:42 PM

I've tried to search this out but can't seem to make anything informative show up.. My daughter is sending me her powerbook g4 17" for repair. She says that; only half of the screen is working and that; she understands it to be a faulty or broken lcd cable. Something to the effect, that; this is a common problem, whereas, it becomes broken within the hinge or because it's hinged and bends back and forth. However, i can not find this topic here. And, i am no Mac person but, I am quite capible of tearing stuff up.. Ha, ha. Seriously though obviously i need to understand this, what's wrong, why and if there is a repair page to guide me along.. She says it's glued in and will require extra effort accessing the cable.. A good source for repair illustration is PBfixit.com but they do not go this far either.

So, does anybody know of a page on the net, or something with a help guide to tear apart the display, so i might mimimize the damage?

And,, is there a source besides apple care, to buy this lcd cable? She belives apple wants, 'like 100 bucks for it.. that's rediculis.. E-bay has none for the 17", unless they are compatible, with a 15" or 12", or are they different in each size? I presume they might be the same, displaies 1680 x 1050 and 1440x900 ought to be the same cable and the only major difference in age, or?

Is there another sorce for parts besides Apple, (don't care) I.E. 100 bucks for a cable? !!

Thanks..

Jeff1954  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2007, 02:57 PM

Bump, perhaps somebody knows where this topic has been covered already?

Night9Hawk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2007, 12:06 PM

I would take it to the nearest Apple Store and see what the Geniuses have to say about it. They might decide to fix it for free. Certainly can't hurt to try, right?

Forum Links
Forum Rules