Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Help! User directory damaged

Help! User directory damaged
Elixir
Sep 2, 2007, 07:42 PM

So i went to the apple store for some help. my itunes would not open and would not even be recognized by the system profiler. i was told that my user directory was severly damaged? since itunes would open under another user on my computer, he said it wasn't global damage.

i'm going to create a new user but how do i transfer everything over? i need my songs, my apps, etc.

can someone help!?!?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2007, 07:47 PM

You probably have disk directory damage. I'd get Disk Warrior.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2007, 09:07 PM

Rather than creating a new user, try simply moving (renaming) your "~/Library/Preferences" directory. Then log out and log in.

A new "~/Library/Preferences" directory will be automatically created, and you'll have lost all your preferences for all your applications, so beware... this could cause you other problems. However, you'll still have all your actual data. If it is a problem with preferences, this will fix it, if it does not fix it, you can rename/move the Preferences folder back again, and log out/in, and everything should be back to the way it was - nothing lost, nothing gained.

If this does solve the problem, you can then copy your preferences files back a few at a time, logging out/in after each few, to see which one(s) were causing the problems.

If this doesn't fix it, you can also try the same thing with the entire "~/Library" directory, but of course this has even more implications, and potentially more problems.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2007, 11:19 PM

Big Mac is right, DiskWarrior will rebuild the directories. You don't want corrupt directories, period!! DW is invaluable, it hase saved my rear many times.

Forum Links
Forum Rules