Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Michigan Renaissance Festival

Michigan Renaissance Festival
Jumbonium2007
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2007, 06:37 PM

I just spent the entire day at the Michigan Renaissance Festival..

For all you michigan folks out there its something to check out.. alot of fun..

Excellent Food, Turkey Legs, Good local brewed beer, Live jousting all kinds of baked goods, weapons.. The jousting was amazing.. along with the honey mead they make fresh.. freaking amazing.. Any of you michigan folks ever been.. FYI it takes place every weekend this month and its on Dixie Hwy off of I-75 In Holly Michigan

Railroader
Banned
Sep 3, 2007, 07:03 PM

I have been extremely disappointed with the Ren. Fest the last 5 years or so. Seems any yahoo that wears tights and walk around carrying a badly made sword saying "Hello m'lady/lord" in a HORRENDOUS English accent things they are acting like the period.

Jumbonium2007  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2007, 07:31 PM

Yeah the acting wasnt that great.. Im in a medieval reenacting group so our entire group went.. It was a sea of red when we walked in.. all in garb . I make chain mail and I wore a Quoif in.. which is a chainmail headpeice. I also carried a wooden sword as real weapons aren't allowed.

The best food there is a turkey leg which is huge.. Freaking awesome

heres my quoif that I made.. Its galvanized steel electric fence wire.. the whole headpiece weighs about 20lbs..
This peice took me about a week working on it 2 hours a night.. This was my first attempt at chain mail fabrication

What do you all think

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2007, 08:10 PM

I haven't been in about 8 or nine years. It's not an era I know much about, and have only a cursory interest in, but it was a good place to drop a couple of hundred bucks on some of the period clothing for one my daughters, who went with me. One of my sisters has a sister-in-law who's fairly active in it also; she plays an instrument similar to a flute (I believe it's called a recorder), in one of the musical groups.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Ham Sandwich
Sep 4, 2007, 01:19 PM

The best times I had at the Ren Fest were during the winter. That's when we would hop the fence and get drunk in the "town" and do poor reenactments of scenes from the Holy Grail.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2007, 01:20 PM

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 4, 2007, 03:33 PM

Starman, your pictures could almost be from the Texas Renaissance Festival's location. I've been less than totally thrilled with the direction the festival's owners have gone in the last few years, but it's been getting better in some ways. This year they brought back the beer tasting! We've enjoyed that more than the (extremely enjoyable) wine tastings. The shows are great (we miss the Flaming Idiots since they retired, but it looks like Arsenne will be back this year!), and it's always fun to people watch.

I'm very much looking forward to it-we're going the weekend before Thanksgiving - we go for the whole weekend, get there Friday evening and leave Monday morning. Yes, we're serious about it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2007, 03:40 PM

The show's changed a lot in the last 20 years. Before, they used to have groveling Mud Men, but people complained . They used to have "Drench a Wench" (dunk tank) where if you drenched the wench, she kissed you (a real one). Other things have changed because people are too f'n stuck up to enjoy themselves and have a good time. We had fun, and I really tried to just enjoy it this year and not look at the negative points (except the Star Trek idiots....WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?).

I think now they might have a "hands off" policy. Then there was some crap about the SCA but I don't remember what exactly (it was so long ago).

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules