Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Wireless media/iTunes server - WD MyBook Pro World Edition II?

Wireless media/iTunes server - WD MyBook Pro World Edition II?
Canucklehead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2007, 03:16 AM

I'm hoping to create a wireless media server for my iTunes library and hoping somebody can provide some advice.

Some background:

My media has long since outgrown my MacBook Pro's HD and currently resides on a 500 gb LaCie disk (FW400/FW800/USB2) that I have to plug directly into my laptop to play.

I bought an Airport Extreme several months ago, along with a 500 gb LaCie disk (Mac Mini-style) in the hopes that AirDisk would meet my needs. While it was simple enough to move my library to the AirDisk, I gave up the experiment after a short time since (1) iTunes performance lagged somewhat, (2) updating my iPod via AirDisk took FOREVER, often hanging the system, and (3) the LaCie disk was loud as heck.

A few questions:

1) Will a NAS-style HD, plugged into the ethernet port of my Airport Extreme, work well as an iTunes server?

2) If so, has anyone tried the WD MyBook World Edition II for this purpose? (CostCo Canada has the 1 TB version on sale.) What is the performance/noise like? How does performance compare to that of an AirDisk setup?

3) Are better options out there? I've read a little bit about people using Mac Minis or spare computers as servers but don't know too much about it...

Thanks kindly for reading this!

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2007, 12:01 PM

I'd love to know this answer as well. There seems to be a dearth of information regarding Mac compatible network drives/enclosures that will play nicely with iTunes etc. All I want is to be able to access my music from anywhere in the house and stream it to an airport express basestation plugged into my stereo!
12.1" Powerbook G4

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2007, 01:57 PM

The cost of a 1 TB hard drive (the particular one you mentioned) at CostCo canada was around 300ish.

An Apple TV costs roughly the same price. Why not just use an Apple TV? It will suit your needs, you can put the music on the Apple TV itself. There are hacks to upgrade the hard drive, and there may even be hacks to allow you to use an external HD in the USB port (not sure on this one, you need to do the research there). You'll have the remote, hooked up to your TV, and be able to search, see album art... etc. etc.

For the money you are willint to spend... maybe the Apple TV will suit your needs.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

Canucklehead  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2007, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.

I don't think Apple TV meets my needs.

I understand that Apple TV "syncs" its library with the main computer that it is paired with, meaning that a copy still resides on that computer. If this is the case, it defeats my purpose, since I'm trying to clear space from my laptop hard drive and go completely wireless.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2007, 04:25 PM

So, you're tring to put your iTunes library on something that isn't your Mac (like an external Hard drive), and want a device that will play songs off that device to your stereo, as well as allow you to play songs in iTunes off that device?
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

pbutterworth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2007, 08:46 AM

I have created what you need from an old out of date compaq pc. I've installed Linux (debian) and the firefly media server Firefly Media Server :: Home Page. I have setup itunes so it stores it's music directly on the server, and firefly serves the music up to itunes clients and a Roku Labs music player.

It made use of a PC that otherwise was ging to be thrown away, and once it's running it never needs touching. It's been up & running without a single reboot for several months.

If linux isnt your thing, you could achieve the same with windows, although i'm sure it would need a reboot occasionally.

Hope that helps!

asquizz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2007, 06:56 AM

I too am looking for a NAS solution which could act as an iTunes server, and also as a general back-up solution. I was considering the "LaCie Ethernet Disk mini 500GB Gigabit Ethernet" - what would stop this one-box solution from working?

A more expensive approach, which would be a more 'server-type solution', is a "Synology DS-207" with a interchangeable Sata drives. It is a lot more expensive, but seems to serve printers and uses AFP and Samba.

Anyone any thoughts? Any revelations Canucklehead?

Forum Links
Forum Rules