Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iLife 5 or '06 or '08

iLife 5 or '06 or '08
stony
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2007, 01:50 AM

I currently have iLife 5 installed on my G5. How much better is '06 over 5 and should I get '08 instead of messing around with '06?

I have a G5 iMac. 2.0 ghz and 2GB Ram. It's not the intel processor.

Thanks in advance.

Kaspers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2007, 06:01 AM

I'm sure iLife'08 will run fine on your system, and its defnitly better over previous versions..

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2007, 07:46 AM

How much better is '06 over 5 and should I get '08 instead of messing around with '06?
'08 is really good. iPhoto is way better than in '06. Events is cool. Also depending on whether you video edit and what you need it for, ie the new imovie does not have a time line and from what I see if you don't need that function it is also a very cool app.

I'm sure iLife'08 will run fine on your system, and its defnitly better over previous versions..
Yes, and..
iWeb truly sucks in '08 it is so unstable - look on apple support forums there are loads of problems and complaints. You may be lucky with it but it is worth knowing that until they provide an update to fix some of the problems you might be stuck with a useless app. I am.

fire3500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2007, 09:47 AM

Depends which app you're referring to though... if you're an iMovie fan then you might find that even if you plumb for 08 that you want to still download the iMovie HD 06 version from Apple (free download if you're an 08 customer).

I personally did not find that 08 delivered me any huge benefits over 06 (YMMV) in the iApps that I mostly use, iPhoto (events are failing to set my world alight) and Garageband (the improvements are modest and the gimmick-heavy aspects are ugh...).

stony  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2007, 10:19 AM

The main thing I want to use it for is podcasting and video podcasting.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2007, 10:39 AM

i like the new iLife

stony  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2007, 10:26 PM

I got a good deal on '06 but it said that the minimum requirements are 10.4.4. I am using 10.4.10 right now. Do I have to upgrade or can I still use it. I remember reading something about just one of the applications in the '06 version needs to have 10.4.4 to run properly.

Koralatov
Senior User
Sep 26, 2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by stony View Post
I got a good deal on '06 but it said that the minimum requirements are 10.4.4. I am using 10.4.10 right now. Do I have to upgrade or can I still use it. I remember reading something about just one of the applications in the '06 version needs to have 10.4.4 to run properly.
You don't need to upgrade at all. 10.4.10 is newer than 10.4.4, so going from the latter to the former would be a downgrade, and, to the best of my knowledge, impossible short of reinstalling Tiger from scratch.

The only new iLife app I've really used is iPhoto, and iPhoto '08 is a big step up from '06 in terms of features. The Events feature, whilst it may not set your world alight, is really good for keeping things together, and logically breaking them up into smaller chunks. The Keyword implementation is so much better than it was before and makes vanilla iPhoto a vastly better application.

If you don't fancy jumping into '08 for whatever reason, I cannot recommend Keyword Assistant strongly enough. It is fantastic, and very much a viable replacement for the '08's keyword implementation.

Also, I imagine you'll get good performance with the new iApps, as your system is reasonably recent.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2007, 08:38 PM

I really liked 06. 08 has grown on me, but I'm not sure it's a huge improvement.

Forum Links
Forum Rules