Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Where To Start?

Where To Start?
ncmason
Oct 30, 2007, 10:01 PM

I'd like to start coding websites by hand. I've been to many online tutorials, but I've heard many people saying books are where it's at. So, my question is, where should I start if I'm a beginner ?

Thanks,
Mason

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2007, 11:52 AM

Depending on your self discipline, a couple good books and a few nice websites will help you go a long way.

IF you find yourself struggling a lot or lose interest on the more difficult issues the maybe consider a community college class.

As far as books go, there are two main "flavors" - tutorials and references. USE BOTH!! The "Teach yourself X in 24 hours" type of books are good for getting a shallow overview of what's possible, and they tend to be pretty good about providing a layered approach - each chapter builds into the next. The reference type books are a bit more dense and have a lot less handholding but they are awesome in the case where the tutorial book just glosses over something and you need to know the details.

The web is one giant reference too. There's tons of great resources on all flavors of web development out there. I'd start at the w3c.org tutorials and move on from there.

Good luck and have fun!

ncmason
Nov 3, 2007, 11:09 PM

Thanks for the tip. I've decided that I'm going to purchase Ian Lloyd's book as it was highly recommended over on the SitePoint Forums. I've started checking out some of Pixel2Life's tutorials as well. I think I've got the rest from here, thanks again.

Mason

Forum Links
Forum Rules