Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > is Leopard compatible with virtual pc 6...

is Leopard compatible with virtual pc 6...
alrod67
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 10:54 AM

I have an e mac 1ghz running virtual pc 6. Can virtual pc 6 run with the new Leopard.... has any one tried it.....
Please, let me know...before buying Leopard.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2007, 11:32 AM

Is there an old Leopard?

I think I remember reading that VPC is not compatible. You'd be best off doing a remote desktop connection into an actual PC or getting an Intel Mac, VPC will never be updated again. It always seemed unusably slow to me anyway.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2007, 08:42 PM

No, VP6 didn't even work well with Tiger. VP7 requires a 1.33 GHz G4 or better too, so it won't run.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2007, 08:51 PM

What do you need to run?

elmier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2007, 01:18 PM

Actually, you can. I have the 1st of the aluminum PowerBooks, 1Ghz, and was concerned about using Managing Your Money via Windows 98 on VPC 6. I loaded Leopard onto an external hard drive and was able to access VPC on the laptop’s hard drive, then to pull my Windows disk onto the external hard drive and to load it all up in Leopard. Before starting Managing Your Money, I played a few games of Free Cell, just to test some things out.

BTW, my version of MYM is the old DOS version 12. That’s the only thing I use in Windows. Shame they never got a Windows version down right. The DOS version was way ahead of its time.

Can’t promise it would work with whatever program you want to use, however. If you have one, and you should if you’re going to use Leopard and Time Machine, load Leopard on an external drive and test it that way before upgrading the eMac’s hard drive.

Also, the requirement for VPC 7 is only a 700 Ghz G4.
“System Requirements for Virtual PC for Mac Version 7

To use Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac Version 7, users need the following:

System Requirements

* Hardware: A 700 MHz native* PowerPC G3, G4 or G5 processor
* Operating system: Mac OS X Version 10.2.8; Mac OS X Version 10.3; Mac OS X Version 10.4.1 or later.
* Free Hard Disk Space: 3 GB
* RAM: 512 MB
* Display: 1024 x 768 resolution monitor displaying thousands of colors
* Storage: CD-ROM drive (or connection to a local area network if installing a network)
* Peripherals: Mouse or compatible pointing device

* Upgrade cards and accelerators are not supported“

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2007, 08:24 PM

Wow - what doe MYM do that is so critical?

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2007, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by alrod67 View Post
I have an e mac 1ghz running virtual pc 6. Can virtual pc 6 run with the new Leopard.... has any one tried it.....
Please, let me know...before buying Leopard.
I have an 1GHz eMac running Mac OS X Leopard as well and I don't think you'll have bother to be honest. It runs great on my 2.8 GHz iMac, but on the eMac it's downright slow. Especially Time Machine runs like a dog.

My advise is to stick with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and save up for an Intel Mac.

elmier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2007, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Wow - what doe MYM do that is so critical?
Back in the day, and in the early to mid-years of Quicken, MYM could handle more complex stock and bond actions (short sales, options and the like) as well as having all sorts of loan and or time calculations, a built-in tax estimator and what-if scenario play-arounder.

It’s very long in the tooth now. It’s no longer possible to download stock prices as easily, you cannot download from various financial institutions, and it’s tax estimator has not been flexible enough to handle the newer tax changes. Their Windows version never was as powerful as the DOS version, then Bank of America, I think, bought them and didn’t keep up with it. But people still are using it, as you would find in the Compuserve Community forum dealing with Financial and Tax software.

I expect that at the start of 2008, I will shift over to Quicken to make those things easier. In fact, Quicken has caught up to MYM in most of respects that it long lagged. I just wish the Mac version of Quicken was as complete as the Windows version. Quicken is slower than MYM on my present Mac with Virtual PC, so I kept on using MYM. I will upgrade the laptop next year to an Intel model, and that will make using Windows less of a pokey issue for me.

Meantime, I’ve upgraded the laptop itself now to Leopard, and can confirm that VPC 6 with Windows 98 is running fine. Actually seems to start up a little faster.

alrod67  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2007, 12:43 PM

I have an emac g4 1ghz 768 ram and have downloaded Leopard...a word of caution.. when you begin downloading Leopard..there is an option that you can skip..it says computer is checking the dvd program...DO NOT SKIP IT.
Reason...once downloaded the program the computer restarts and asks you for the administrator name and password...it would not accept it...got on the phone with apple and they walked me through a series of codes and after 2 hours and 15 minutes...leopard came on... its a glitch...they should not give you the option to skip it..
had my address book erased...300 contacts...which I wisely backed up...but its a hassle.... computer is about 15% faster...virtual pc 6 is about 15% faster too... overall the mac is working fine...but I learned my lesson..dont download a new program when it comes out... wait at least 6 months....

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2007, 12:46 PM

You downloaded Leopard and then called Apple for tech support?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2007, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
You downloaded Leopard and then called Apple for tech support?

I was wondering the same

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2007, 01:13 PM

I think he means "install." I hope. I've heard people transpose those terms before.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2007, 01:17 PM

Ahhh.. that would make sense.

At any rate, the "scanning installation media" step of installation can be skipped if you are sure that your install media is good. This is completely unrelated to problems with rejected passwords.

ralphh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2007, 04:51 PM

I have not been able to get an internet connection via shared networking or virtual switch since upgrading to Leopard. I looked in the Console log, and it seems VPC is using deprecated system calls.

I can still drag files to and from the desktop, though.

Major bummer for me - my only use for VPC is to verify my Web page designs in Explorer 5.5 and 6. I am very reluctant to shell out for an Intel Mac and a spankin' new copy of Windows, especially since it won't help me test my pages in earlier versions of Explorer.
===============
Original 15" G4 Ti 500MHz/768MB/60GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules