Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 Firmware Update USB Hub problem

G4 Firmware Update USB Hub problem
Kevin Rickis
Apr 9, 2001, 04:30 PM

Hi All,

Well I took the jump and updated my G4 350 with the firmware update after checking the RAM with Genn Anderson's utility, my RAM is fine but I get the following error from the firmware which prevents the machine from starting up.

GET-CLASS-DESCR for HUB error ff927du8 ffdb8c90 9

Default CATCH !, code = 300 at at %SRR0:_

If I disconnect the hub built in to my LG Flatron monitior and restart then the machine starts as normal and the hub works fine when reconnected.

At the moment I am living without the hub so I don't have to unplug it everytime I restart.

I am running 9.1 with all updates.

Any ideas anyone.

Cheers,

Kevin

freddy
Apr 10, 2001, 05:57 PM

Buy a newer one, I use to have the same problem when I runned the firmware updater.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2001, 12:16 PM

My USB seems screwed up after applying the update. It randomly freezes my mouse and keyboard, and can occasionally be recovered with a disconnect/reconnect of the USB to reset it. This doesn't always work though.

I'm using the standard Apple keyboard and Microsoft's Intellimouse (the two button with scroll-wheel). I don't use Microsoft drivers, but rather I have been using the USB overdrive drivers.

Anyone else notice additional flakey USB after the update? I waiting to hear how the verdict was in the 'lost memory' issue before applying the update, and now I find there are additional 'hidden' issues that I have to deal with.

If anyone has a solution (not a workaround), I'm open to suggestions.

clash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2001, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by Kevin Rickis:
<STRONG>Hi All,

Well I took the jump and updated my G4 350 with the firmware update after checking the RAM with Genn Anderson's utility, my RAM is fine but I get the following error from the firmware which prevents the machine from starting up.

GET-CLASS-DESCR for HUB error ff927du8 ffdb8c90 9

Default CATCH !, code = 300 at at %SRR0:_

If I disconnect the hub built in to my LG Flatron monitior and restart then the machine starts as normal and the hub works fine when reconnected.

At the moment I am living without the hub so I don't have to unplug it everytime I restart.

I am running 9.1 with all updates.

Any ideas anyone.

Cheers,

Kevin

</STRONG>
I just did the firmware update on a G4/400 Gigabit and am now receiving a similar error...

GET-CLASS-DESCR for Hub error ff95d910 ffbd8c90g
DEFAULT CATCH!
code=300 at %SRRO:_

anybody else???

ThunderP
Sep 14, 2001, 11:51 PM

hey, what kind of hub do you guys have? i have a belkin 4 port hub, the standalone one, not the bus station one. i just hope i dont have the same problem if i update my firmware.

clash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2001, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by ThunderP:
<STRONG>hey, what kind of hub do you guys have? i have a belkin 4 port hub, the standalone one, not the bus station one. i just hope i dont have the same problem if i update my firmware.</STRONG>
we both have monitors with built in hubs. I have successfully updated a G4/400 AGP with a Belkin Busstation and had no problems. Check to see if the hub is USB 1.1 and it should be fine. Kevin informed me that our problems are most likely because of a USB 1.0 hub. Hope this helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules