Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Replacement for Apple Printer Utility?

Replacement for Apple Printer Utility?
Spoffo
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2007, 04:37 PM

I have an old LaserWriter 16/600 that's still running beautifully after about 12 years. I've solved all the networking and printing issues. (As I recall, I've even been able to print to it from Windows running under Parallels.)

However, one thing has me worried: The only way to adjust a number of settings on it (including really important ones, like setting the IP or adjusting print density for an out-of-spec toner cartridge) is to use the old Apple Printer Utility 2, which only runs under Classic. As best I can determine, Apple has never issued an OSX utility to handle these adjustments.

Given that Classic mode is fast going away (thanks to Intel Macs and 10.5), does anyone know of a third-party printer utility that might be able to access the control panels in these "classic" (and apparently unbreakable) LaserWriters under OSX?
( Last edited by Spoffo; Nov 5, 2007 at 06:50 PM. )
Dual 1.8 G5 tower w/ Pioneer 112, 4 gb RAM, 500 & 200gb HDs
MacBook Pro 2.16 gHz Core 2 Duo, 4 gb RAM, VM Ware Fusion & Boot Camp installed with Win XP Pro (Previously used Parallels)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2007, 05:47 PM

Use an old Mac as a printer server perhaps.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spoffo  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2007, 06:55 PM

Thanks, but the issue isn't a server or connecting to the printer. That works just fine for printing, using AppleTalk over Ethernet. The problem is that the on-board software control panel for adjusting the printer, reading toner amount, etc. pre-dates the web-based kind that we're used to today on routers, modern Ethernet printers, etc. Instead, it has a proprietary interface that is made to work only with this old Apple Utility, which Apple has chosen not to update for OSX.
MacBook Pro 2.16 gHz Core 2 Duo, 4 gb RAM, VM Ware Fusion & Boot Camp installed with Win XP Pro (Previously used Parallels)

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Spoffo View Post
Thanks, but the issue isn't a server or connecting to the printer. That works just fine for printing, using AppleTalk over Ethernet. The problem is that the on-board software control panel for adjusting the printer, reading toner amount, etc. pre-dates the web-based kind that we're used to today on routers, modern Ethernet printers, etc. Instead, it has a proprietary interface that is made to work only with this old Apple Utility, which Apple has chosen not to update for OSX.
What he's suggesting is to use an old Mac that can run classic as a means of controlling the printer using the Apple Printer Utility. Use it just to change the settings, etc, and print to the printer the way you're currently doing.

Spoffo  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2007, 03:06 AM

That's always the fallback. I have very early Power PC that I drag up from the garage about once a year when someone needs to read one of the old 800k floppies. (I also have an old G3 PowerBook that works fine but no longer gets used that will always be able to run Classic.) I'm just hoping I can find a solution that will work from my everyday desktop machine, which will probably lose Classic when 10.5.2 or 10.5.3 comes out.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2007, 03:20 AM

SheepShaver and Basilisk II have network support. Granted, neither one works very well, but you might be able to get one of them running well enough to tweak the printer settings using APU.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules