Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Suggestions for cleaning my macbook pro

Suggestions for cleaning my macbook pro
SleePyCode
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2007, 11:12 PM

I did a little searching but was unsatisfied with what I found.

Anyone know any good methods to clean my macbook pro?
Right now there is fingerprints and some dirt prints on it. There was something on the space bar key but I rubbed that off with my index finger.
My Screen seems to be collecting dusk now as well, If I carefully wipe the back of my finger across it I can see the dust it is collecting.

This worries me as well, I live in a house with 3 cats and a dog, So pet hair is all about. On my G4 towers I have to clean the keyboards and tower itself now and then from the dust and pet hair, but my little macbook I don't think the keys come off. Do they? Any suggestions for this, right now it looks good but I would like to keep it looking good for what I paid for it.

I seemed to have put a minor scratch in it some how on the underside (which is good as its out of site most of the time). Any way to make these either blend or disappear?

Thanks for information you can provide me with on keeping my macbook looking as good as it runs.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2007, 12:20 AM

Prevention. Get a keyboard cover, which will save you a lot of time tryignt o clean betweent he keys. Use an external mouse as much as possible, which helps save your trackpad from wear and tear. You can buy computer whipes, which are just little wet nap things. Use those in conjunction with a fine, lint free cloth to clean your screen.

Mac4Decade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2007, 12:27 AM

Lint free cloths with basic alcohol purchased from a drug store always does the trick (worked like a charm cleaning mouse balls, haha). Dry microfiber cloths are great for buffing MacBook Pro cases—it cleans off all oil and residue.

TiBook G4, MacBook Pro 1.83 Intel Core Duo

Fusion
Senior User
Nov 7, 2007, 01:19 AM

I've always used just a nice cloth and steaming hot water (we have a hot water tap in our kitchen that is nearly boiling). It works great because it evaporates so fast so it doesn't leave any streaks. If I'm doing just the keyboard instead of the keyboard & screen I might add in a little dish soap as a degreaser...

I do this about once a week and my PowerBooks/MacBookPros always look new

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 7, 2007, 09:46 AM

Basic cleaning takes some attention and common sense. Aluminum (and the coating Apple puts on it) is not hurt by alcohol, so using a lint-free cloth or high quality (and thus lint-free) paper towel to wipe down the aluminum works great. According to Apple, you should use ONLY plain water-and only a tiny bit-on a lint-free cloth or paper towel to clean your screen, but I've used alcohol to clean gunk off without any negative effects.

Most of all, don't let things get grungy. Clean the machine regularly, or at least when you start noticing that it isn't as shiny as you remember it to be. That keeps it from getting really dirty in the first place.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SleePyCode  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2007, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I gave it a go and it cleaned my computer well. Though the damp paper towel on my screen left some sort of streek marks. But that should be ok, it is cleaner now

Forum Links
Forum Rules