Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > weird glitch, need help

weird glitch, need help
miacomet
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2007, 09:22 PM

Ok, so I am trying to "compress" an 880 MB folder with many, many subfolders. It is basically a collection of all my work from graduate school.

When I tell Leopard to compress this folder, it tells me "the operation can not be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for "cv.pdf"."

That would be all well and good, I suppose, except that when I go to search this same folder for the file "cv.pdf", Leopard tells me that the folder contains no such file.

Any suggestions as to how to get the folder compressed?

reader50
Administrator
Nov 11, 2007, 11:07 PM

The cv.pdf file might be invisible, or (more likely) inside a bundle. And you most likely don't have Read access to it. There are two possible solutions.

1. Download the free EasyFind, a 3rd party utility that will do a real search. Including inside bundles, and invisible files. Note: you can get fancy with the Finder's Search to do this too. Locate the file, change permissions on it. Then try to compress the top folder again.

2. Call up Command-I Info on the top folder. Confirm you have read access. Click the button to "Apply to enclosed items...". There will be a warning dialog. Hopefully, it will apply inside bundles (including applications). Then try to compress the top folder again.

miacomet  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2007, 11:20 PM

I tried 2 before and it didn't seem to help. I will try your solution 1 now. Thanks!

miacomet  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2007, 12:08 AM

Solution 1 helped me find the offending file! EasyFind to the rescue. Thanks much!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2007, 12:31 AM

For the benefit of any other readers, you can also do a search within the Terminal:

find /path/to/folder -name "cv.pdf"

Forum Links
Forum Rules