Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Final Cut Express HD 4.0 :-(

Final Cut Express HD 4.0 :-(
Appleman
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2007, 10:30 AM

One and a half week ago I visited the Apple Store in Rome, Italy as I was there for a long weekend.
My wife bought FCEHD 3.5 as a present, and I was happy as I had bought a new video camera, a Panasonic HDC-SD5 which works with AVCHD.

Today I saw Apple came out with FCE HD 4.0, for 100 less than FCE HD 3.5!
OK, **** happens. So I called Apple, but there policy is that when opened software they do not refund, nor do they have a free upgrade to the newest version, even though it is within 1.5 weeks after you bought the software...

Any lawyers in the house? Any ideas, experiences with this?
Thanks.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2007, 10:44 AM

I feel some of your pain because I got the software recently as well. Someone made a good call a couple months ago saying that there would be new version soon. I personally don't know if it's worth upgrading because 3.5 does everything I need it to (unless it doesn't run right in Leopard or something) and the new features in 4.0 seem pretty marginal.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2007, 10:46 AM

In my case it's ok as well, however I expected them to be a bit more flexible in the sense that they would give a free upgrade within 14 days or a month.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2007, 10:50 AM

Yeah, that would be nice. But at least with Final Cut Apple is generous in letting even original version license holders upgrade to the newest version for the same price.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2007, 10:54 AM

I didn't buy Final Cut as I first wanted to play a little bit with the Express version, thought the real big man version would be too much for my needs, plus the hefty price difference was part of the decision.
Actually one should buy this kind of stuff and then quickly close all browser windows for at least half a year and enjoy the new software

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2007, 12:06 PM

What is the difference between Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro? I know that they are bundled with different programs, but are the actual editing programs different?
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2007, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Appleman View Post
I didn't buy Final Cut as I first wanted to play a little bit with the Express version, thought the real big man version would be too much for my needs, plus the hefty price difference was part of the decision.
Actually one should buy this kind of stuff and then quickly close all browser windows for at least half a year and enjoy the new software
Oh, I was referring to Express.

As for the differences between Express and Pro, there are a few high end features in Pro that most people have no need for.

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 15, 2007, 03:19 PM

I think its kinda bunk for Apple to not give a 4.0 upgrade to purchasers of 3.5 since the 3.5 owners did pay $100 more than those who buy FCE now and the upgrade cost is exactly that.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2007, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by stwain2003
What is the difference between Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro? I know that they are bundled with different programs, but are the actual editing programs different?
Final Cut Express has the same interface and editing tools as Final Cut Pro, but has many advanced features stripped out. One major difference between the 2 is in regards to how each app handles HDV. FCE transcodes HDV into Apple Intermediate Codec, while FCP can handle HDV natively. Also, FCE doesn't support Timecode, Batch Capture or Batch Exporting.
I gotta have more cowbell.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2007, 12:15 PM

Won't they at least price protect you for $100?

Obi Wan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2007, 04:16 PM

There are only a couple of upgrades to 4.0 from 3.5 and they took Soundtrack out of the bundle, so it you bought 3.5 you actually might be better off. The only real advantage to 4.0 over 3.5 is that it allows for importing of iMovie8 projects and support for AVCHD video. If those things don't effect you, then there's not much point to upgrade. Plus you got Soundtrack, which is a cool program that you wouldn't have gotten if you just got FCE 4.

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 16, 2007, 09:52 PM

Yes but I think 4.0 comes with LiveType now which is more valuable than Soundtrack. You could buy Sound Studio to do many of the things most people use Soundtrack for I think.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2007, 11:28 AM

LiveType was included with 3.5.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

khearne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2007, 05:50 PM

I ordered a new Mac Pro last week with FCE 3.5 preinstalled on Sunday. It shipped on Wednesday and as you all know it was upgraded to 4.0 on Thursday. I made one call to customer support and the nice Apple lady send me FCE 4.0 OVERNIGHT to me for $29. This is the price difference for the academic versions. I expect they did this only since I could have refused shipment of my computer and could have re-ordered but it still is nice to see they (Apple) can be a little flexible on these frustrating timing issues. (Maybe they learned a little with the iphone price cut fun?) Now I guess I can play with 3.5 and update at my leasure. Once I update I guess I am out of luck for the future since my second version is academic but still nice to have the option.

khearne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2007, 05:51 PM

I ordered a new Mac Pro last week with FCE 3.5 preinstalled on Sunday. It shipped on Wednesday and as you all know it was upgraded to 4.0 on Thursday. I made one call to customer support and the nice Apple lady send me FCE 4.0 OVERNIGHT to me for $29. This is the price difference for the academic versions. I expect they did this only since I could have refused shipment of my computer and could have re-ordered but it still is nice to see they (Apple) can be a little flexible on these frustrating timing issues. (Maybe they learned a little with the iphone price cut fun?) Now I guess I can play with 3.5 and update at my leasure. Once I update I guess I am out of luck for the future since my second version is academic but still nice to have the option.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2007, 12:07 PM

Can this run on an iMac? I loaded my copy of FCE 2 on my new 2.4Ghz Al iMac. I got an error message that said it would not run due to "missing component: AGP graphic card"
45/47

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2007, 01:27 PM

Yes, it will run on a new iMac... FCE2 is so old it's looking for an older graphics card.

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2007, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Can this run on an iMac? I loaded my copy of FCE 2 on my new 2.4Ghz Al iMac. I got an error message that said it would not run due to "missing component: AGP graphic card"
FCE 2 is not Universal Binary, which is what is needed for optimal performance on an Intel iMac. FCE 3.5 is Universal.
I gotta have more cowbell.

Forum Links
Forum Rules