Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Are Time Machine & iTunes reliable?

Are Time Machine & iTunes reliable?
kilechki
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2007, 06:52 AM

Examining my Time Machine backup (I'm not so confident in it for the timebeing), I noticed that the "iTunes Library" data file was the only element saved from the iTunes folder, leaving aside iTunes Library.xml and iTunes Music Library.xml.

Those 2 files are essential to keep a fully operational iTunes library, and still they aren't saved? why?
So I should save them manually somewhere?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2007, 07:14 AM

The iTunes Music Library.xml is in my Time Machine backup. I don't have an iTunes Library.xml file in my iTunes folder, so I doubt that's an essential file. I think even the iTunes Music Library.xml will be simply recreated from the binary iTunes Library (which it as far as I know simply shadows) when you open iTunes. I have no idea why it's not backed up for you though.

kilechki  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2007, 07:55 AM

How to re-create your iTunes Library

This doc seems to suggest that iTunes Library.xml is the most important file of the library...
Anyway, I'll use Backup and .Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules