Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Scanning with Leopard?

Scanning with Leopard?
SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2007, 02:08 AM

I have a Canon CanoScan N 650U that I've used since like 2000, always worked fine until Leopard. I was using a *cough* version of Photoshop 7 really ONLY to be able to use the scanner. Now photoshop wont open in 10.5 at all. So I've looked for updates for this scanner and have found nothing. Is it useless now??

I cant afford (nor need) photoshop simply as a scanning software fix. Do new scanners work? I've even tried image capture which I THOUGHT could now control scanners, I was wrong.

ANY help/suggestions would be awesome. I'm out of ideas.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2007, 07:19 AM

**coughies*** no workie here as you should already know, yes

but try this..... VueScan 8.4.46 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker

worth every penny !
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 14, 2007, 10:42 AM

definitely try VueScan before giving up hope. I actually just threw an old UMAX scanner into the road(not really) because the last time it worked was in OS 9. Some internal SCSI to USB crap going on - ah, the early days of USB.

I'm currently using an Epson Perfection 1650 with Image Capture in Leopard, works great.
ice

SeSawaya  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2007, 11:10 AM

sounds good, but for $40 I might just want to buy a new scanner. Apple has only a few scanners but $99 still seems to be the price point for the low end stuff (which is all I need really)

So are they faster now? (scanning that is)

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2007, 11:44 AM

I have used my Canon LiDE 60 with Leopard and Image Capture. Kinda clunky, but it works! Canon has new drivers for this scanner dated 10/27/07, but have not tried them with Leopard. What seems to be the problem when you try Image Capture? Maybe we can help there.
Mary

SeSawaya  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2007, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
What seems to be the problem when you try Image Capture? Maybe we can help there.
I'm not on it right now, but it wont even find my scanner. I DO have a HP all-in-one but the interface is horrible and it dose a pretty bad job. Image Capture finds that one, but you can do nothing, theres just no options to do anything. I like my old Canon MUCH better than the newer HP.

Skipperjay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2007, 01:50 PM

I have the CanoScan LiDE 50 and also found that it was inoperative with my new OS X 5.0. could not find a downloadable driver on the Canon website. My Canon printer i860 continues to work just fine.

I found the LiDE 50 to be quite slow anyway so I have decided to up purchase a Canon all-in-one printer. I am presently looking at the
Canon Pixma MA610.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2007, 01:53 PM

I vote for the Canon LiDE 50 - about $50 on Amazon - basic, but good.

webraider
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2007, 05:21 PM

I have a Canon CanoScan LiDE 35 that I installed the latest drivers with and it works great. I only use the Twain Drivers however as I use Presto PageManager (which is not universal, PPC,a nd I have an Intel Mac) and It works flawlessly. I'm sure the newer models will also work and you can pick one up for the same price as Photoshop (Although I will be purchasing that soon as well)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2007, 05:48 PM

I've been using an Agfa 1212U scanner since the wee early days... the scanner is even a translucent Bondi blue in color! And the ScanWise X software still works, even in Leopard (I think the last release was back in the 10.2.x days). I know I could use VueScan, but the Agfa ScanWise application still works just fine.

SeSawaya  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2007, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by bowwowman View Post
**coughies*** no workie here as you should already know, yes

but try this..... VueScan 8.4.46 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker

worth every penny !

Just bought it and I love it, WAY better than even my original softwafe.
thanks so much!!

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2007, 04:32 PM

My CanoScan 8400F works fine with Leopard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules