Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Is Super Mario Galaxy Really That Good??

Is Super Mario Galaxy Really That Good??
fearnecotton4PM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2007, 08:28 AM

I've been hearing alot about Super Mario Galaxy and I would really like to know if it really as good as people say. I have enjoyed many of the prvious ones including Mario 64 which in my eyes was the best.If it isas good as people say what are the best points which make it so good?? Or if its not that good what are its bad points?? If anyone has played it and could let me know their thoughts please let me know......

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2007, 12:57 PM

It's a really great game, but I'm not sure it's legendary. I've been playing it the past few days, but I've not been so hooked that I stay up playing it until 3:00 AM or anything like that. It's Mario, refined, perfected, and energized a bit by the great environments.

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2007, 01:34 PM

I like it. A lot. I haven't played many of the other games, but SMG is fun, challenging in good ways, and just plain beautiful. My kids are absolutely ape over it.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2007, 02:03 PM

i have to say that no mario game will revolutionize the series like SM64 but galaxy has definitely taken it to a new level and is a awesome game that is worth your time/money. After completing the 'campaign' section i find myself still playing it just as much as earlier to collect the 120 stars. It is a step above SM sunshine but again you can't compete with the original 3D mario.

Aegis
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2007, 03:01 PM

I obtained 120 stars a few days ago and I remain impressed. I agree that it can't really be Mario64, because that was a different time. But it really carries the spirit of 64.

It looks fantastic for a Wii game. It's got some mind-bending gravity situations and some of the cinematics while you are soaring through space are great. And, Toad. Plenty of Toad.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 05:20 PM

It feels like a true sequel to Mario 64 which to me is awesome after the horrid Super Mario Sunshine.

It isn't the best game ever made but if you have wii it is one of those must have titles.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2007, 06:37 PM

Zelda, Metroid, Mario Galaxy are really the only "must have" titles for the Wii.

Notice any connection there?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Zelda, Metroid, Mario Galaxy are really the only "must have" titles for the Wii.
Exactly. Everything else is just a $60 collection of trendy minigames.

After Mario Cart I am done.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2007, 02:29 AM

Holy crap - I couldn't agree with you more
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Nov 30, 2007, 03:24 AM

Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah! woah! Mario 64 the best Mario Game? Are you nuts?
We got Mario and his clever "here we go" line. I vote Super Mario World as being the best Mario game, hands down. Mario 64 was cool when it came out but it will never be that old time favorite when people think of Mario.

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 03:42 AM

I agree, SMW was the best Mario. If only because it took forever to beat.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2007, 04:47 AM

Zelda, Metroid and Mario.... relationship ? each has a game in the top 3 games ever made (according to Game Rankings - Rankings - Video Game Reviews, Release Dates, Cheat Codes) ? their consistent quality over their lifespans across different platform generations ? They came from Nintendo ?

That being said..... if many third parties are too scared to invest into making quality Wii software, bollocks to them, Nintendo is more than capable of stepping upto the plate and making critically and economically top notch games.

Also, on the issue of third party support...... Ubisoft and Capcom have probably been the two who have shown the most support, with EA(and some others) the least. check out the third party performances over the last year and notice which ones made the most and sold the most. Whats the point ? Youd have to be a pretty stubborn publisher/developer to not see the potential Wii is offering. (i think you will see a direct correlation between third party stocks and their support for Nintendo here on out this generation)

Not to sound arrogant, case even i couldnt have predicted it, but the Wii has sold at over twice the rate of the XB360 since release, and it appears that the main seller is.... Wii Sports. So does the very-niche-hardcore-demographic make business sense ? Nope. The same way the marketing of GameCube as a niche-kid-console early on made no sense either. Sony imo, has made all the same mistakes Nintendo did with the N64 and GCN, Nintendo has matured and executing amazingly (except for the supply issue) and Microsoft....well.... speaking of Metroid,Mario and Zelda..... seems to be that Halo3 is the only "must have" on that system.... that is if youre system still works. I dont know about you, but i see 3 must-haves better than 1-must have...and at a lover overall price with better quality hardware.

And for a person who has yet to finish a single mario game...i think Super Mario Brothers was the best . And correct me if im wrong here....but didnt RE4-Wii sell over a million in the U.S. ? pretty good for a last generation port wouldnt you say ? and imo it does qualify as a must-have if you dont already have the original.

Cheers

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2007, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by ApeInTheShell View Post
Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah! woah! Mario 64 the best Mario Game? Are you nuts?
We got Mario and his clever "here we go" line. I vote Super Mario World as being the best Mario game, hands down. Mario 64 was cool when it came out but it will never be that old time favorite when people think of Mario.
QFT™

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Zelda, Metroid and Mario.... relationship ? each has a game in the top 3 games ever made (according to Game Rankings - Rankings - Video Game Reviews, Release Dates, Cheat Codes)
They rank Metroid Prime in the top 3 but Super Metroid isn't even there? What a stupid list. Orange box kicks ass, but it (and Half-Life 2) make three appearances in the top ten.

Again, stupid list.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2007, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
QFT™
QFTx2

Aegis
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2007, 10:16 PM

Hm. I have no trouble saying the original Mario or M64 are the most important Mario's. But the most fun is really subjective. Overall, I probably enjoyed Mario 2 (US) or Yoshi's Island the most of any Mario game.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2007, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
They rank Metroid Prime in the top 3 but Super Metroid isn't even there? What a stupid list. Orange box kicks ass, but it (and Half-Life 2) make three appearances in the top ten.

Again, stupid list.
These are rankings from Internet sites. Since the Internet wasn't widespread at the time of Super Metroid's release...

No ratings.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2007, 11:49 AM

It's really good. It feels like a proper sequel to Mario 64.

If Rainbow Bright dropped a bunch of acid and read the Little Prince. This game would be her nightmare.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2007, 06:43 PM

I'm about 33 stars into it now. I'm not getting to play as much as I'd like, but it keeps growing on me bit by bit (and I liked it in the first place).

This is definitely a GotY contender.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2007, 07:00 PM

I think Mario 2 and 3 were my favs. Although Yoshi's island did rock also.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2007, 09:58 AM

Haven't played SMG yet, but my favorites:

1. SMB 3 (Tanooki forever!)
2. SM World
3. Yoshi's Island
4. Mario 64
5. SMB
6. SMB 2
7. New SMB

Really, I've enjoyed all of them I've played, which is all except Sunshine. I didn't include SM RPG or the Paper Mario games, but I love those as well.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Forum Links
Forum Rules