Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Upgrading dual G5 1.8 from 2 to 3 GB?

Upgrading dual G5 1.8 from 2 to 3 GB?
Mac Hammer Fan
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2008, 05:25 PM

I have a dual G5 from the year 2004, 4 memory slots filled with 512 MB RAM. Will I notice a speedboost when I upgrade to 3 GB RAM by replacing 2x512 by 2x1024. I use Photoshop and Indesign. Or should I better replace all the RAM modules by 4 x 1GB RAM?

TIA
( Last edited by Mac Hammer Fan; Jan 3, 2008 at 05:28 PM. Reason: additional question)
MacPro SixCore 3.33 Westmere - MacBook SR 2.2 Ghz - PowerMac Dual G5 2.3
Besides Macs, I love Gothic Horror Films

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 07:13 PM

If you can afford 4 GB, go for it. Photoshop is a serious RAM hog and you'll see them most speed improvement over 3 GB.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2008, 03:18 PM

These G5s gain no additional boost from having all identical sticks. They do require matching pairs of course. But yes, 3GB will be better than 2GB.
I thought all the dual G5s had 8 slots. If you have 8, keep all the 512s and just add 1GB sticks. Then you have 4GB anyway.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules