Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > File Sharing between 2 computers

File Sharing between 2 computers
SqualorVictoria
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2008, 12:03 AM

I have searched, but file sharing is such a broad subject, i get quite a few results.

I have a iMac and a MacBook and what I want to do is have a icon on my iMac desktop that when clicked allows me to browse my macbook, and a icon on the macbook that does the same for the imac.

Is this even possible, or will i only be able to get into the folders i have set to share? I dont care if i have to enter a password to get in.

David Lee
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2008, 01:13 AM

Yes, that is possible, I do it all the time at work (many PCs and Macs on one LAN) and at home (2 mac connect to the same router.
1. Connect (from Mac #1) to the machine you want to access (either through the Finder's Go (Command K) menu, and enter the ID number of the machine you want to access, or through the finder. That # should be a 192.168.1.?? (find that in the system prefs on the machine you want to access (its called a file server in the dialog box), in the network pref pane) or something similar. Choose the "Registered User option, fill in the name (not the short name but the long one) and password and check the "Remember password" button. Then select the volume you want to mount (either the public folder only or the whole hard disk (the volume name of your startup disk). I use the volume name so I have access to everything.
Once the object disk is mounted, make a convenient folder or use one you already have and make an alias for the mounted disk. (drag the mounted disk to the convenient folder and hold down the "option and command keys" when you release the mouse button.
To unmount the disk use the "command E" hot key or drag the disk icon to the trash.
The next time you want to mount the disk you will not have to go through that whole procedure, just double click the alias icon you just made. Voila, share mounted.
Now repeat the process from the other computer to go both ways, if that is necessary.

SqualorVictoria  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2008, 01:57 PM

Thank you David, this has worked perfectly, and i never would have figured it out on my own.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 02:28 PM

Actually, if your Macs are on the same network, and filesharing is turned on in both machines, each will show up under the "Network" section of the other machines' Finder windows automatically.

No need to go through Cmd-K or "Go to Server" or futz with IP addresses or anything.

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2008, 02:34 PM

@analogika only if he's in Leopard, in Tiger there is no Network section.
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2008, 02:39 PM

If you are looking for the fastest possible file transport and don't care about OS X metadata, I'd recommend checking out MacFUSE/MacFusion (which provides an interface for mounting sshfs volumes handled by FUSE)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by silver View Post
@analogika only if he's in Leopard, in Tiger there is no Network section.
That is wrong.

The network section has been there since the Mac OS X Developer Previews, well, before 10.0.

DP4, May 2000 - almost EIGHT YEARS ago.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 03:05 PM

You also can use the short name for a user too. There is no requirement to use the long name for anything.
Vandelay Industries

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2008, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
If you are looking for the fastest possible file transport and don't care about OS X metadata, I'd recommend checking out MacFUSE/MacFusion (which provides an interface for mounting sshfs volumes handled by FUSE)
I haven't noticed SSH is particularly faster over a local network than AFP. Is it?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2008, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
That is wrong.

The network section has been there since the Mac OS X Developer Previews, well, before 10.0.

DP4, May 2000 - almost EIGHT YEARS ago.

Sorry 'bout that, my bad. I thought you where talking about the sidebar.
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

SqualorVictoria  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2008, 07:52 PM

Wanted to re-visit this and let everyone know that I am now using a app called "teleport" which is incredible, not only can i drag and drop files from one screen to the other (yes, screen, thus hard disk as well - meaning i dont have to share folders and browse to them and drop files in that way) i can controll both CPUs with 1 mouse/keyboard.

abyssoft - FREE

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2008, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by SqualorVictoria View Post
Wanted to re-visit this and let everyone know that I am now using a app called "teleport" which is incredible, not only can i drag and drop files from one screen to the other (yes, screen, thus hard disk as well - meaning i dont have to share folders and browse to them and drop files in that way) i can controll both CPUs with 1 mouse/keyboard.

abyssoft - FREE
Smells of spam, but seems like a good app, how wells does it work?
Signature depreciated.

SqualorVictoria  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2008, 09:07 PM

i was afraid it sounded like spam, but i was the original poster months ago. I found a better solution than what was suggested to me and i shared it.

i think it is working very well, it is a pretty simple app.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2008, 09:08 PM

abyssoft - FREE
Nice software.

I wish it had a VNC client / server included, so that you could "switch" over to that computer while working on it remotely.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2008, 09:11 PM

i was afraid it sounded like spam, but i was the original poster months ago. I found a better solution than what was suggested to me and i shared it.
A quick search on your posting history showed me that you don't seem to be a spammer.
You participated in a lot of different forums and threads.

There are, however, spammers that register, start a thread describing a problem, and then, a few days later, post about some magic software that fixed it all.

Almost like you did

-t

SqualorVictoria  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2008, 09:20 PM

its all good, i knew when i was writing it it would come off that way.

David Lee
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2008, 12:35 PM

Re: "The network section has been there since the Mac OS X Developer Previews, well, before 10.0." I knew that, and correct me if I am wrong, but in my experience using the network pane instead of the "Go" menu gives you only the choice of "public" folders, while the Go menu lets you choose the whole hard disk on the other computer, which is what the OP wanted access to. At work our work group often passes files back and forth to the public folders and that works great, but at home it is more convenient to have access to the whole hard disk. Can that be done from the network page?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2008, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
Re: "The network section has been there since the Mac OS X Developer Previews, well, before 10.0." I knew that, and correct me if I am wrong, but in my experience using the network pane instead of the "Go" menu gives you only the choice of "public" folders, while the Go menu lets you choose the whole hard disk on the other compute
You're wrong.

Clicking on a server in the network pane has always given you a double-clickable icon that presented a dialog for username and password, and then the drive selection dialog.

Forum Links
Forum Rules